SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Metrology Specialist is responsible for the oversight and/or calibration, and maintenance of analytical and microbiology equipment as well as providing support for lab related facilities functions. With regard to technical competence, the Metrology Specialist is expected to have some laboratory experience and be comfortable with laboratory instrumentation and software. In addition, the Metrology Specialist must be sensitive to the demanding regulatory compliance requirements attending to the operation of a pharmaceutical testing laboratory. This job also requires the ability to demonstrate a high commitment to interpersonal relations.
The Metrology Specialist also participates in the resolution of any equipment problems that may arise during laboratory testing and engages in the process whereby key department documents such as equipment SOPs and worksheets and forms are developed, reviewed, and approved. This position also requires skills at investigation of Out-of-Tolerance events, impact assessments, and the management of equipment systems in the laboratory.
- Maintain equipment readiness so that all reasonable customer requests pertaining to the conduct of testing are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Maintain equipment within established parameters governing regulatory compliance expectations.
- Assist in the interpretation of calibration records requested by customers during on-site audits. Participate in customer audits as directed by Quality Management.
- Participate in department and/or company-wide projects designed to improve the nature of customer service.
- Play a role in the resolution of Out-of-Tolerance events.
- Prepare impact assessment reports for equipment involved in Out-of-Tolerance events.
- Assist Management in addressing and resolving Corrective or Preventive actions as they relate to equipment.
- Ensure that all reasonable requests from department management pertaining to laboratory testing equipment are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure that testing staff working in the laboratory receive the help and cooperation they need on equipment usage to successfully complete their studies.
- Prepare protocols related to validation and requalification of equipment and ensure all schedules are being maintained.
- Coordinate outside calibration testing for equipment as needed.
- Greet and manage contractors working in the facility on lab equipment, and facilities as needed.
- Work closely with Department and Metrology Management in the qualification or retiring of equipment within the laboratory.
- Ensure all equipment documentation is complete, up-to-date, and stored properly.
- Ensure all equipment is entered, scheduled, and maintained in the LIMS system.
- Play a key role in creating and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork within the metrology team.
- Provide updates to Metrology Management concerning in process projects related to equipment.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) pertaining to testing, review, and equipment calibration and maintenance.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of general SOPs, GMP/GLP and ISO regulations as it pertains to work performed in the laboratory.
- Participate in the preparation and review of appropriate department SOPs, worksheets, and data forms.
Education, Required Skills & Competencies:
- BA/BS in a scientific field or equivalent job experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of scientific principles required.
- Recommended at least two to five years relevant laboratory experience in a regulated environment and dealing with analytical and general laboratory equipment.
- Must be able to think analytically; problem solving skills are essential.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
o perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.