Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma - 8:30pm-7am variable hours, rotating holidays and weekends
Main Duties: Data entry and answering phones. Process specimens for laboratory analysis. Plates specimens for microbiology testing. May perform initial phases of testing. Works alongside technologists assisting to produce patient results. Sorting incoming specimens, prioritizing and immediately processing STAT and other critical tests. Must be able to work in two computer systems proficiently.
Required Knowledge: Must have good computer skills. Demonstrate manual dexterity and attention to detail.
Required Experience: High School Diploma or higher, Lab experience is desired.
Special Requirement: Must have the ability to maintain a professional attitude at all times. Must be available for scheduled vacation and emergency coverage as needed. Must be available to rotate weekend shifts.
Know that there are people behind the data. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Specimen Processor you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, our Specimen Processors play an essential role in our success and provide a critical service responding to the often pressured requirements of accurate diagnoses. As a career, it offers a unique opportunity to learn and develop a profession offering long-term stability and development. You can also earn a competitive salary and great overtime, while growing your own career.
View a realistic job preview here.
The SPT I is responsible for general support functions within the Specimen Processing Department. This position requires passing a data entry assessment. Functions performed may include but are not limited to data entry of test orders, presort, pickup and delivery of processed specimens to the laboratory, centrifugation and aliquoting. Department is a production environment, with emphasis on productivity/quality standards and departmental completion times. All functions must be performed with confidence, accuracy and in a timely manner. Job is complex and requires that employee have good organization skills and ability to learn and understand specimen types related to test(s) ordered by client. The SPT I must have the ability learn and understand the compliance regulations related to test ordering which may change on a daily basis. This position is critical to quality for customer satisfaction. Additionally, since many changes do occur from day to day, great flexibility on the part of the SPT I is required. Majority of SPT I work, on the nightshift, but based on staffing needs weekends, holidays, on call and overtime is a requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Able to perform all responsibilities of the Specimen Preparation Assistant
- Demonstrates an ability to learn the job duties assigned to the SPT I, and develops an understanding of how all the functions in Specimen Processing fit together
- Identifies problems and in some cases, may resolve issues with specimen types such as missing information etc.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the compliance policies related to test ordering, which requires developing ability to research test ordering information on translation tables, computer system, and the directory of services
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 6 months
- Understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and specimen received
- Completes all required written documentation, legibly and within the assigned timeframe
- Meets or exceeds all performance expectations to include attendance, adherence to work schedule and demonstrates Quest values and behaviors through work performance and peer and team interaction
- Is open to learning additional functions within Specimen Processing to allow timely progression to the next level
- Performs other duties as assigned
- HS diploma or equivalent
- Medical background preferred which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory
- Previous experience in a production environment preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Position requires data background with abilities to enter 6,000 alphanumeric keystrokes/hour
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and works in a production environment
- Communicates effectively with all levels of staff
- Maintains composure while working under pressure
- Reflects good judgment at all times when determining what action to take when resolving problems
- Adheres to Quest Diagnostics core values, safety and compliance policies and procedures
- Keeps work area neat and clean
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills that foster a positive environment.
- Demonstrates flexibility and ability to adapt to change
Quest Diagnostics has many career opportunities for individuals whose talent, initiative and dedication will complement our belief that the patients come first and that values do matter. We work to earn our customers’ trust every day by providing the highest quality diagnostic information services in a professional, accessible and informative way.
We have a large recognized brand; we offer flexibility and autonomy, great support, pay and benefits and a comprehensive training and onboarding program. All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.