Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma - Microbiology Manager
Main Duties: Microbiology Manager is accountable for the accuracy and reliability of all services in the Microbiology Lab. Responsible for scheduling, hiring, disciplinary action, department meetings, implementation new policies and procedures, review of QC/QA records, conducting annual performance reviews, training and other duties as assigned by the Microbiology Manager. Demonstrates the interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with peers, direct reports, clients and the public. Implements SOPs and BPT initiatives in accordance with Quest and DLO guidelines. Maintains a safe, ergonomically sound, professional environment that actively encourages and supports employee involvement.
Required Knowledge: BS degree in Medical Technology. Applicant must demonstrate a broad knowledge of the technical aspects of the tests performed in Clinical Microbiology, including Bacteriology, automated ID and antimicrobial susceptibility systems and possess the ability to lead employees in daily activities as well as interact with medical staff regarding these services. Ability to stay abreast of the latest innovations in test methodologies.
Required Experience: Minimum requirements – 5 years in a clinical Microbiology Laboratory, including experience in a Lead or Supervisory capacity, with proven leadership skills.
Special Requirement: MT(ASCP) or equivalent certification. Must have interpersonal skills to gain cooperation with other departments and foster continuous improvements. Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements, including weekends, and holidays. Must demonstrate good organizational and communication skills and be able to address client concerns and employees in a professional manner. Must be able to make independent decisions and handle multiple priorities in a high volume setting. Must be able to organize and lead projects both within the work group and with cross functional group.
Quest Diagnostics: Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Lab Technician you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Lab Technicians play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
The Laboratory Manager has the overall responsibility for the planning, coordination, evaluation, and supervision of all technical and/or operational activities and staff members in the laboratory. Responsible for performing duties so as to operate the lab with the highest quality safety and integrity, and in an efficient, economical and businesslike manner are of utmost importance.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work in the laboratory. Serves as liaison with other areas as needed.
- Mentors and supports direct reports, i.e. Supervisors, QA Specialists and Safety Coordinators in their responsibilities and functions, ensuring they receive training in supervisory skill development. Identifies and implements training programs as necessary.
- Defines, coordinates, and monitors quality assurance programs and supervises activities of the Quality Assurance Specialist. Ensures quality control and compliance procedures are followed and QC reports are up to date. Oversee plans and preparations for inspections.
- Oversees staffing of all personnel in the laboratory. Effectively maintains quality staffing by interviewing, hiring, training and providing staff development through performance evaluation and corrective counseling.
- Identifies future needs in terms of staff, equipment, and facilities. Submits appropriate documentation for procurement of such.
- Reviews test performance, drives process and project management, and prepares and submits required reports to meet established deadlines.
- Manages test database. Ensures departmental standard operating procedures and database accurately reflects the current process.
- Coordinates R&D activities as it relates to operations and actively participates on subspecialty committees, corporate committees, and business unit committees as needed.
- Develops annual budget and manages department costs and resources to adhere to budget.
- Resolves problems through interaction with clients via phone calls or other means of communication.
- Defines, coordinates and monitors EHS programs and supervises activities of the Department Safety Coordinator. Ensures EHS regulatory standards and safety procedures are followed. Oversees plans and preparations for inspections.
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences required. Masters degree preferred. Current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license required (for CA only)
- Minimum of 8 years laboratory experience with at least 4 years of direct supervisory experience in the clinical or anatomical pathology laboratory.