SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Laboratory Technician II is a step forward from an entry level position in the department (Lab Technician 1). The Lab Tech 2 will be expected to operate with a greater degree of independence than Lab Tech 1. Duties here are primarily geared toward testing and providing crucial support in the overall conduct of microbiology/sterility assurance studies, as well as performing general tasks essential to maintaining a clean and efficient laboratory. The Lab Technician 2 will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in a variety of routine laboratory tasks pertaining to microbiology testing. As in the case of Lab Technician 1, the position also presents employees with an opportunity to continue to learn the skills and techniques necessary to advance in the department.
Employees working at the level of Laboratory Technician 2 in the department of Microbiology/Sterility Assurance report to a Team Leader and/or Manager.
The Lab Technician 2 will have limited direct contact with clients; however, he/she will play a valuable customer service role at the laboratory by:
• Providing support to study directors in their efforts to ensure that routine testing submitted by clients is completed within established parameters governing turnaround time, quality specifications, etc.
• Working together with staff to ensure that all reasonable client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given test are met in a timely and ultimately effective manner.
• Participating in departmental and/or company-wide projects designed to improve client services.
• Ensure that all reasonable requests from study directors, tam leaders, QA and/or management are met in a timely and effective manner.
• Ensure that study directors working in the Microbiology/Sterility Assurance Department receive the help and cooperation needed to successfully complete their studies.
• Participate in departmental or company-wide projects designed to improve the internal efficiency and overall quality of work performed in the laboratory.
• Participate in creating and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork throughout the laboratory.
• Communication with supervisors regarding progress of tests and/or assignments.
• Perform general tasks essential to a clean and efficient microbiology lab. Duties here may include cleaning and disinfecting work spaces, inventory, receipt, and storage of lab supplies, equipment maintenance, and preparation of materials used for testing.
• Assist study directors in specific tasks related to the conduct of a given test or group of tests. Duties here include test preparation, proper application of test method(s), and data collection.
• Complete all assigned testing in a reasonable time period.
• Demonstrate thorough knowledge and familiarity with applicable general SOPs pertaining to the microbiology/sterility assurance.
• Demonstrate a sound understanding of the basics of GMP/GLP/ISO requirements as these pertain to work performed in the microbiology lab.
• Participate in departmental efforts directed toward equipment maintenance and calibration.
• Participate in the training of incoming laboratory technicians.
• Adherence to relevant SGS SOPs governing official records and documentation.
• Adherence to all SGS personnel policies regarding time clock, hours, internet use, telephones, paid time off, etc.
• Participation in general staff training sessions as these are scheduled.
• Maintain current and complete training records.
• High school diploma (or equivalent in experience or training) required.
• Some knowledge of basic microbiology required (may be from SGS training).
• Previous laboratory experience required (may be from SGS training).
• Must be proficient in aseptic technique.
• Must be proficient in testing procedures.
• Must procedure adequate documentation of all testing according to SGS Standard Operating Procedures
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.