SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Technician, Microbiology Laboratory LSS conducts routine analytical work performed on client specific projects and assisting other Analysts in the completion of their tasks. Participates in departmental efforts directed toward equipment maintenance and calibration.
Directly reports to Supervisor or Manager, Chemistry Laboratory LSS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Provides support to technical staff in their efforts to ensure that routine testing submitted by clients is completed within established parameters governing turnaround time, quality specifications, etc.
• Performs routine testing in conjunction with client specific projects.
• Works together with technical staff to ensure that all reasonable client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given test are met in a timely and ultimately effective manner.
• Participates in departmental and/or company-wide projects designed to improve the nature of SGS client services
• Provides support to all reasonable requests from Analysts and management pertaining to the conduct of a given test or group of tests are met in a timely and effective manner.
• Ensure that all technical staff working in the Analytical Services Laboratory receive the help and
• Provides the Administrative Laboratory Supervisor or Manager with appropriate notification of any special requests regarding sample log-in, reporting, and billing activities.
• Participates in creating and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork throughout the laboratory.
• Demonstrates willingness and ability to train on applicable general SOPs pertaining to the Analytical Laboratory.
• Studies / becomes familiar with GMP/GLP and ISO requirements as these pertain to work performed in the Analytical Laboratory.
• Participates in general staff training sessions as these are scheduled.
• Participates in departmental efforts directed toward equipment maintenance and calibration.
• Maintains and archives historical data.
• Adheres to relevant SGS SOPs governing official records and documentation.
• Adheres to all SGS personnel policies regarding time clock, telephones, sick days, vacation days, etc.
• May perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Biology or related science discipline
1+ years of experience in Microbiology Laboratories
• Experience with USP compendia methods , , , , ,
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• General knowledge of Chemistry and routine testing methods and methodologies preferred
• Language Skills: English - Intermediate level required
• Mathematical Skills: Basic level required
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Basic level required
• Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and Word) - Intermediate user proficiency required
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
• Ability to execute detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
• Ability to follow directions, ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe
• Strong attention to details required
• Communication and basic organization and time management skills are required
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
• This job operates in a laboratory environment and routinely uses chemistry instruments and equipment
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand – Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Constantly
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Climb or balance - Occasionally
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Occasionally
• Talk/hear - Frequently
• Taste/Smell - none
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull - may have to lift up to 20 pounds
Vision Requirements (corrective glasses can be worn in the lab, but not corrective lenses):
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches/50 centimeters or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet/6 meters or more)
• Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point)
• Depth perception (three-dimension vision, ability to judge distance and three-dimensional relationships)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
• Ability to see color (not applicable to some type of analysis. The inability to see colors should be disclosed)
• Must be able to hear equipment operating, alarms sounding, traffic, telephones
Safety-Sensitive: Has a high exposure to catastrophic operational incident and has access to operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets, or the environment.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.