Look for more than answers.
Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far-reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Molecular Infectious Disease Diagnostics Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
The Molecular Infectious Disease Diagnostics Scientist will work on-site from our San Juan Capistrano, CA location.
Molecular Infectious Disease Diagnostics Scientist, the role:
The Molecular Infectious Disease Diagnostics Scientist will advance technology necessary to develop state-of-the-art assays for infectious diseases. This professional will plan, organize, and implement basic experiments to achieve this goal. The Scientist will also provide scientific design and statistical analysis.
- Under the direction of the Scientific Director, Lead Scientist or R&D Manager, initiate experimental design for assay development.
- Performs laboratory experiments for assay system development, optimization and validation following defined protocols and company procedures.
- Under licensed supervision, run experiments to evaluate new laboratory instrumentation and equipment for laboratory testing in cooperation with the equipment manufacturer.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize experiment results. Interprets results of experiments and recommends alternative experiments.
- Prepare technical SOP's as required for Medical or Scientific Director (licensed) review and approval.
- Prepare assay validation reports and other assay-related documentation as defined by the licensed Scientific Director and Medical Director.
- Work closely with informatics personnel to develop computer programs and databases as required for assay execution, automation and data management.
- Under licensed supervision, assist and/or coordinate technical transfer of new assays and procedures to appropriate department.
- Under licensed supervision, assist, as needed, in the training of lab personnel on new procedures.
- Keep Scientific Director and/or R&D manager informed about status of on-going projects.
- Prepare written and oral presentations of scientific updates for presentation at R&D meetings and conferences.
- Maintain awareness of current and developing technologies.
- Complies with industry regulatory and quality standards for the R&D Assay Design Control processes.
- Responsibilities include working with infectious materials, supporting and complying with the company hazard waste handling practices.
- Identifies problems, investigates alternatives and recommends possible courses of action.
- Maintains knowledge of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature.
- Effectively utilizes and applies advanced methods or technologies.
- May attend technical conferences or seminars. Maintains knowledge of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 6+ years experience for a candidate with a Bachelor's degree, at least 4 years of relevant experience with a Master's degree, or a Ph.D. with thesis.
- Experience with PCR optimization, primer design, DNA sequencing is highly desirable. Experience in developing products under design control or cGMP/QSR is a plus.
- Experience working with BSL2 Pathogens and universal precautions is preferred.
- Industry experience is a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write complete reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem-solving situations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance and correlation
- Solid skills with Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Clinical Laboratory Training or Laboratory Scientist Licensure is not required but a plus.
- Proven ability to accomplish technical tasks both independently and as a member of a research team
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.