- Performs final review of mortgage loan credit, income, asset and property documents to determine acceptability of documents provided and proper execution of any corresponding calculations.
- Analyzes credit history, income capacity, adequacy of assets and collateral eligibility and value to determine acceptability of risk for manual underwriting or validation of data entry for automated underwriting.
- Assures compliance of loans with guidelines of insuring/guaranteeing entities (FHA, VA, RHS, PMI companies and NDHFA) as well as secondary mortgage market investors (private mortgage companies, FNMA and FHLMC).
- Approves or rejects loan applications or requests additional information.
- Approves loans within specified limits and conducts approval process and set-up.
- Records loan rejections, specifying investor and institution guidelines and basis for declining application, such as insufficient cash reserves.
- Reviews documents in loan files, including acceptance or denial and returns scanned information to originating mortgage loan office.
- Assists loan department with training, responds to request for information and assists with other loan duties as needed.
- Maintains proper correspondence and legal files.
- Explains, promotes, cross-sells or refers bank, insurance and trust products or services.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, internal controls, and regulations.
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F (w/ some flexibility)
- 2-10 years experience in mortgage underwriting
- Encompass Software Experience is HIGHLY preferred
- Must have underwritten government loans FHA, VA (USDA preferred too)
- Must have reviewed appraisals and tax returns
- Superior internal and external customer service skills, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.