Motor & Generator Commissioning and Service Engineer / Technologist
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As a Motor & Generator Commissioning and Service Engineer, you will oversee commissioning in projects with low to medium complexity, and guide Associate Commissioning Engineers and coordinating work with entry-level staff. You will ensure that commissioning activities are completed efficiently and cost-effectively, in accordance with specifications, standards, and safety requirements.
Reporting to the Manager, Tech Services Management 2, you will Travel to various sites in the US (including off-shore facilities) and outside the US performing commissioning and service on motor and generators to include installations, system maintenance, troubleshooting or to conduct training. Beyond that, this position offers the opportunity for the candidate to pursue determining where our customers perceive value and help our Business Unit align our value proposition with the Customer’s buying criteria.
- Extensive travel with little advance notice and Complete installation wiring and/or provide technical direction to craft labor for installation of new motor and generators
- Perform start-up and commissioning testing protocol in accordance with factory instructions and manuals, Work with engineering department to develop installation task lists and designs
- Responsible for material and equipment procurement, facilitate mobilization, demolition, and installation activities including equipment and tool shipping, scheduling, and supervision of craft labor on site
- Assist with maintenance and testing of generator excitation systems, protective relays, and other auxiliary equipment, participate in educational activities both customer and ABB employee facing
- Write trip reports that describe, in detail, the system and device failure and actions taken, Review the system problem and solution with the Design Engineering group
- Travel to customer sites to oversee installations of equipment, perform system startup or required maintenance, provide instructions for customer maintenance, or repair equipment
- This position requires 75 to 80% travel throughout the US, the remaining office time is focused on training, engineering study for projects assigned and Provide first response troubleshooting via phone to customer’s emergency needs
- Be available to receive and answer customer questions on weekends and holidays by remote technology, Foster strong and effective relationships with internal and external customers
- High School / GED and minimum 9 years of experience in motors and generators servicing OR
- Associates Degree in Engineering technical field and minimum 7 years of experience in motors and generators servicing OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering technical field and minimum 5 years of experience in motors and generators servicing
- Strong knowledge of basic and advanced electric machines theory and Solid understanding of synchronous machines design and operation, mechanically, electrically and controls, Ability to qualify for and hold various industry certifications related to Safety (i.e. MSHA, OSHA, THUET, TBOSIET) and background screening (i.e. TWIC, ISNetworld)
- Knowledge of the protection and operation principles for synchronous machines connected to power grids and Specific knowledge in installation engineering design, installation supervision, project control and execution, vibration and alignment skills and troubleshooting is a plus
- Understanding of and ability to implement electrical, connection drawings, interconnection drawings, and schematics, demonstrated skills in using computers and relevant software packages such as Microsoft Word, Project, Excel, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB Motion Services serve customers around the globe with innovative services to maximize performance, uptime and energy efficiency throughout the lifetime of electrical motion solutions. Electrical motion is applied everywhere in industries, cities, infrastructure and transportation and is a cornerstone of the energy revolution. Our people and culture are the foundation of our success. We drive innovations through digitalization and make the difference for our customers and partners every day. ABB Motion keeps the world turning, while saving energy every day.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.