SALARY: Members of NSA's Police Force enjoy a starting salary of $57,658.
The National Security Agency (NSA) has a current and ongoing requirement for personnel to serve as Full-time officers with the NSA Police on its complexes at Fort Meade, Maryland. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for these exciting and highly dynamic positions offering unlimited career growth, exceptional training, and the opportunity to serve your country as an employee of one of the most unique and respected Agencies in the Federal government.
NSA Police Officers provide armed and uniformed security, force protection, and law enforcement functions in support of NSA's mission, assets, personnel, and facilities headquartered in and around Fort Meade. The NSA Police Force is an integral part of the NSA Associate Directorate for Security organization, which provides NSA worldwide counterintelligence, personnel, and facilities security support.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE NSA POLICE INCLUDE:
- Counterterrorism & Force Protection
- Asset Protection
- Pedestrian and vehicular access control
- Response and mitigation of security, medical, and fire emergencies
- Critical incident management
- Enforcement of laws and regulations relative to the protection of NSA assets
- Vehicle, facility, and material security inspections
- Firearms training and range management
- Patrol of NSA property
Security and Counterintelligence is responsible for the protection of NSA/CSS information, people, and facilities worldwide. In support of this mission, Security personnel oversee the development, installation, and maintenance of physical security systems. Security personnel help maintain integral elements of an overall security theory, posture, and infrastructure designed to efficiently deter, delay, detect and identify threats to NSA people, resources and facilities.
Only the highest caliber individuals qualify for these selected positions. At a minimum, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Unquestionable loyalty to the United States and sound moral character as established by a comprehensive Federal Special Background Investigation (to include a polygraph).
- Issues that could disqualify an applicant from consideration include, but are not limited to, whether the applicant has engaged in serious criminal activity, recent illegal drug use, a history of adverse employment actions to include absenteeism and termination, or significant credit problems such as recent bankruptcies.
- This position requires the carrying of an Agency-issued firearm. The Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended, and applicable implementing regulations prohibit the NSA from issuing a firearm or ammunition to anyone who has a record of having been convicted of a crime involving domestic violence. Applicants who have been convicted of such a crime are not eligible to be considered for this position.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Excellent physical condition.
- Must meet DoD vision standards for law enforcement occupations.
- Must meet DoD hearing standards for law enforcement occupations.
- Must be willing to work outdoors, shift-work, weekends, holidays, and overtime, under strenuous and potentially dangerous conditions.
- Possess a valid state driver's license.
- Entry is with a high school diploma or GED and no experience.
- Experience working with basic office resources (e.g., e-mail, web browsers, word processors, and presentation graphics), working in security, law enforcement, and/or military service is desired. Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid U.S. driver's license. Certification in Act 120, MPTC, FLETC exempt, CPR, and AED is preferred.
BENEFITS: All NSA employees are provided a comprehensive Federal employment benefit package that includes:
- Federal health and life insurance options
- Federal retirement plan
- 10 paid holidays a year
- Sick leave accrued at the rate of 4 hours per pay period (13 days/year)
- Vacation leave ranging from 13-26 days a year (based on years of Federal service)
- Military leave
- Shift, weekend, and holiday salary differential
- Paid overtime
- Tuition reimbursement program
- On-site child care (fee for service)
- Credit Union services
IN ADDITION, OFFICERS ARE PROVIDED:
- Uniforms, equipment, and laundering at no cost
- Performance based rank and salary promotions
- Opportunities to apply for vacancies in the following specialized units:
- Emergency Response Team (SWAT)
- Chemical and Biological Rapid Response Team
- K-9 Unit
- Communication Center
- Mountain Bike Patrol
- Police Training Unit
- Firearms Instructors
Applicants selected for further processing will be scheduled for the National Police Officer Selection Test (POST), NSA Police Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB) and an Operational Interview. The PEB is included as part of the applicant process as it is a required element of the training. The PEB consists of;
- 1.5 mile run within 15 minutes and 53 seconds,
- 30 Sit-Ups within 1 minute
- 25 Push-Ups within 1 minute
- Illinois Agility Run within 20.27 seconds
Applicants who successfully complete the initial testing may be extended a conditional offer of employment contingent upon successful completion of security and medical screenings, as follows:
- Medical/psychological screening by NSA medical staff.
- Full field background investigation and polygraph testing.
Applicants selected for the position will have to successfully complete:
- The 12-13 week Uniformed Police Training Program at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC).*
* FLETC provides a rigorous, physically and academically challenging battery of courses/instruction in law enforcement skills/techniques, which includes classroom instruction with written examinations, graded practical exercises, firearms instruction, and a PEB.
FLETC training may be waived for candidates who possess current Maryland Police Training Commission certification, or the equivalent.
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.