National Chief Director, Cytogenetics
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2020 revenues of $9.44 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
• Forbes® Global 2000
• Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes® 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron’s 500
• Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
The National Chief Director, Advanced Diagnostics - Cytogenetics and Genomics, acting under the leadership of the Vice President Genetics, Genomics and R&D and in collaboration with Scientific and Laboratory leadership is responsible for providing clinical consultation to the clinical laboratory within her/his area(s) of expertise which will maximize quality patient care and ensure continuous business growth throughout the Quest Diagnostics Laboratories. Assume Clinical Consultant or Technical Supervisor responsibilities as assigned/delegated by site Laboratory Director in Chantilly. Oversee Departmental leadership at local and sister locations for consistency in test offerings, quality metrics, staffing, Standard Operating procedures, equipment, and other areas as needed.
• Provide scientific and clinical oversight for the Advanced Diagnostics – Cytogenetics and Genomics, leading scientific and clinical staff through development and oversight of all R&D projects from inception to launch and ongoing clinical support.
• Utilize laboratory procedures in molecular and/or cytogenetics for diagnoses from blood, body tissue, fluids, and other specimens, identifying the presence of diseases/disorders.
• Provides inputs for new research developments in the appropriate fields of expertise. Makes recommendations on tests to develop, consistent with mandates from the Clinical Franchises, and/or other internal businesses.
• Reviews new research developments in the appropriate fields of expertise. Makes recommendations on strategies and tests to develop consistent with the R&D strategic plan.
• Reviews testing and oversees the determination and assistance needed to roll out testing to other Quest Diagnostics regional laboratory facilities.
• Advises Quest senior management staff of trends and actions that must be incorporated into business and strategic planning.
• Interacts with Academic Associates in areas of clinical molecular and clinical cytogenetics to develop new strategies and testing methods.
• Provides leadership to staff, identifies potential test/platform candidates, process design and development, and transference to operations for Chantilly and other sites.
• Leads the Cytogenetics & genomics Best Practices Team (BPT) or provides support and direction to the Chair of BPT.
• Provides educational programs for the medical and laboratory staff at Chantilly and other sites, and participates in educational programs of the Company.
• Reviews, interprets and documents clinical test results within established turnaround times.
• Honors requests for consultations from clinicians regarding the appropriateness and interpretation of laboratory tests. Because quality patient care is paramount, servicing consultation requests of all types is considered imperative
• Collaborates in reviewing test method selection and validation in cooperation with Clinical Franchise leaders for new assays, Medical staff of other disciplines for co-marketing testing and reporting recommendations for adjunctive testing, and between sites for standardization as possible.
• Collaborates in ensuring that the proficiency testing program is conducted in a timely manner, reviewed by appropriate staff, and approve of corrective action when a proficiency testing result is found to be unsatisfactory.
• Collaborates in monitoring quality control to ensure that acceptable levels of analytical performance are maintained for each test system. Ensure that patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly at individual sites.
• Collaborates in corrective action and preventative action plans and procedures. Monitors revised reports for trending and director training as appropriate. Supports Chief directors at other sites in their oversite of regional lab reporting.
• Collaborates, as appropriate, in Job Assignments and Authorization Matrix (JAAM) to support the network of directors and load balance with referral work between sites as appropriate. Leads annual Performance and Development Review (PDR) to ensure that all personnel have the appropriate training and demonstrated performance for the type of testing offered.
• Collaborates in the annual review of Standard Operating Procedures for test systems and works with LIMS and database teams to align procedures between sites as possible.
• Collaborates in reviews of report format for appropriateness of clinical information communicated in areas of assigned expertise. Craft or review of interpretative reporting comments, standardizing reporting through uniform canned text messages between sites. Actively involved in report text updates and standardization in collaboration with Franchises, Compliance and CPT coders, along with published guidelines (i.e. WHO, NCCN, ACMG, etc.).
• Member of the Advanced Diagnostics Team. Attendance at regular Team meetings and other senior laboratory management staff meetings. Participates in all significant scientific, business and policy decisions impacting the clinical utility and quality of testing services.
• Holds regular calls with Cytogenetics leadership of each site to maintain uniform practices, consistent staffing, conditions, and wellbeing, and progress on annual goals.
• Interacts with both internal (Client Services, Specimen Management, Laboratory Operations, Human Resources, Anatomical Pathology, Regulatory, Commercial and Marketing) and external clients to facilitate and foster increased transfer of information related to advanced diagnostics at Quest Diagnostics. Works closely with Sales staff and participates in training throughout Quest Diagnostics to provide appropriate medical scientific support as required.
• Attendance at National meetings in areas of assigned expertise to maintain/build knowledge and to provide representation for Quest Diagnostics.
• Board certification in Clinical CytoGenetics with Clinical Molecular Genetics or Molecular Genetic Pathology desired, with significant knowledge and exposure in microarrays and variant annotation.
• PhD degree required (MD preferred with US licensure) with NYS DOH CQ desired
• Progressive exposure to a field of Administration, Finance, Medical Sociology, Marketing or Human Resources.
• Candidates should exemplify professionalism consistent with Quest Diagnostics, Nichols Institute’s values, vision, mission and fundamental objectives.
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Senior Executive Search Consultant
Quest Diagnostics, Inc.