Are you an ambitious, multi-tasker who can solve problems in a fast-paced environment that loves BACON? Then join Smithfield Foods, a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer! For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The Supply Chain team is looking for motivated professionals to facilitate the distribution of our great products to customers and consumers. These personnel can analyze production metrics against market needs in Supply & Demand Planning, focus on product transportation through Logistics, or ensure the shelves of your local grocery store are stocked by Direct Store Delivery.
The Packaging Engineer is responsible for developing and designing packing materials, shipping containers, etc., for the attractive and safe shipping for Smithfield products under varying conditions of climate, environment and differing modes of transportation using lubricants, protective materials, and other methods as required.Core Responsibilities
- Designs and executes packaging technology strategies from concept to commercialization, including growth initiatives, quality improvements, productivity/cost-reduction activities, troubleshooting activities and general packaging support, as needed.
- Builds and maintains relationships with internal and external resources in order to cost effectively implement packaging initiatives.
- Leverages best practices and capitalizes on technologies with cross-functional, cross-site business applications.
- Promotes innovative thinking to generate unique and value-added packaging ideas for existing or new products. Develops and maintains packaging specifications.
- Acts as a lead by training, mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Packaging Engineers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 2+ years’ relevant experience in Research and Development or Package Development; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Broad knowledge of packaging materials, equipment and manufacturing processes.
- Experience in the food industry, preferred.
- General knowledge of food science, processing and manufacturing, preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong time management, project management, organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Possesses good research and development capabilities, including experimental design, familiarity with packaging testing methodology and experience in commercialization.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Estimated Travel up to 50% of the time.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to other Packaging Engineers.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.