SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Laboratory Technician's primary responsibility is to provide support to laboratory staff as needed in all areas of laboratory operations. The laboratory technician will report to the general manager and/or operations manager for their daily assignment. The needs of the laboratory will change on a daily basis, as will the laboratory technician's role.
Laboratory Technicians may be responsible for, but are not limited to, preparing samples for % solids; pulling samples out of storage for analysis; scanning raw data for report generation, assisting sample receiving with unpacking and labeling samples; cleaning and organizing areas of the lab; assisting laboratory departments with heavy workloads; preparing sample kits for clients; or packing samples for subcontracting.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare or read samples for solids analysis.
- Pull and organize samples out of storage for analysis.
- Prepare samples for drying or grinding.
- Scan raw data for reporting purposes.
- Assisting sample receiving with unpacking/labeling/storing samples.
- Clean and organize laboratory areas.
- Assist laboratory departments with heavy workloads.
- Prepare sample kits for clients.
- Pack samples for subcontracting and shipping.
- Follow all SGS Safety, Ethics and Quality practices.
- Participate in staff meetings and safety trainings.
- Read, understand and perform all applicable laboratory SOPs as written.
- Maintain all required documentation with accuracy and clarity.
- A degree or diploma in a science field with relevant lab classes or equivalent experience would be considered an asset.
- No previous experience is required.
- Must be able to perform some repetitive tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Must be able to perform basic analytical procedures that are both accurate and precise.
- Must have the ability to read and follow documented procedures, SOPs, safety rules, and operating and maintenance instructions
- Some analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are a requirement of this position. Must have some understanding of process and workflow
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word).
- Experience with LIMS an asset.
- Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
- Excellent time management skills which includes the ability to balance multiple projects concurrently (with different deadlines) and arrange the resources necessary to accomplish them.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.