The Patient Account Representative is responsible for the accurate and timely billing and collecting of physician services.
1. Responsible for performing billing, A/R follow-up and credit balance resolution activities
which result in claim payment.
2. Identifies trends and their root cause to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the
physician revenue cycle.
3. Provide excellent customer service to market personnel, insurance carrier
representatives and patients.
4. Document all follow-up efforts in practice management system.
5. Assists with patient education concerning insurance plan.
6. Follows the CHRISTUS Physician Group guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
7. Maintains strict confidentiality.
8. Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear,
positive manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission
9. Maintains established CHRISTUS Physician Group policies, procedures, objectives,
quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
10. Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission and Code of Ethics and supportive of CHRISTUS Physician Group's cultural diversity objectives.
11. Supports and adheres to CPG Service Guarantee.
12. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum three years of physician billing experience.
Candidate must possess the following:
- Extensive knowledge of CPT, HCPCS and ICD-9 coding principles in a multi-specialty physician practice.
- Thorough understanding of government and commercial payer guidelines as well as reimbursement methodologies.
- Ability to successfully perform all aspects of the physician billing cycle including initial claim submission, payer rejection resolution, denial follow-up, secondary appeal and refund processing.
- Advanced understanding of medical terminology.
- High school diploma or equivalent; college course work a plus.
- Ability to operate telephone, computer, copier, fax machine and 10-key calculator by touch.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.