Combine two of the fastest - growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
Let's face it, no industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to move health care forward than UnitedHealth Group. We're out to use data, technology and people in ways that help drive change and make the health care system work better for everyone. As part of our clinical support team, you will be a key component in customer satisfaction and have a responsibility to make every contact informative, productive and positive. Take this opportunity to work with a Fortune 6 industry leader.
The Patient Access Services (PAS) Financial Counselor is responsible for providing service to patients at various JMH facilities/patient services entry points to coordinate registration. authorization, and information processing requirements associated with the patient visit and services needed. The Financial Counselor gathers appropriate demographic, authorization , clinical and financial information in a timely and accurate manner to ensure the patients smooth interaction with John Muir's various healthcare services
- Patient Access Service Functions
- Accurately and courteously collects all patient demographic, financial, and clinical data in a timely manner in accordance with department and facility guidelines and procedures.
- Performs point of service collections and patient payments
- Performs cashiering duties following cash handling policies and procedures as outlined in the department al policies and procedures.
- Obtains service authorizations from third party payers when necessary and appropriate
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of payment mechanisms, including but not limited to payment plans charity care, point-of service discounts, cash deposit requirements and specialty programs
- Obtains agreement from the patient on the type of mechanism the patient will use to pay for patient-owed amounts.
- Disseminates information to the patients concerning necessary arrival times, third party coverage information, required authorizations consents, forms and other necessary paperwork.
- Department and Customer Relations
- Communicates in a calm, courteous and professional manner with all outside review organizations, representatives of third party payors or other business entities
- Communicates in a calm, courteous and professional manner with all patients and their family members, facility guests, physicians clinical staff and co-workers.
- Accompanies patients to the clinical service when necessary and appropriate
- Ensures minors have a parent or guardian listed as guarantor as appropriate
- Applies appropriate measures for privacy and confidentiality when discussing patient information
- Technical Skills
- Effectively utilizes department software and hardware specific to job function
- Meets productivity standards, quality review expectations, unit specific goals and reporting requirements as assigned.
- Is responsible for the accurate and timely collection of patient demographic and clinical data in accordance with department and facility guidelines and procedures
- Works closely with clinical staff, following department guidelines and procedures, for clinical patient assessment protocols, escalation and obtaining patient 1nformat1on under emergent conditions
- Provide individual contribution to the overall team effort of achieving the department AR goal.
- Identify opportunities for system and process improvement and submit to management.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Knowledge of Healthcare, insurance, and authorization requirements
- 1+ years Insurance Plan Payment Practices and Billing requirements
- Ability to work part time- 5 days a week variable shifts- 30 hrs on average, but can be more
- 2+ years of experience in a medical office
- Experience with Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Electronic Medical Record (EPIC) experience
- Excellent spelling / grammar skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to respond to a variety of circumstances with flexibility, sometimes under difficult circumstances
- Able to work in an established time frame with attention detail and accuracy
- Possess the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to gain experience in new software programs as needed
Careers with OptumInsight. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the Healthcare industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life’s best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: electronic health records, Medical Insurance, Healthcare Industry, Authorization, Concord, CA, California