Payroll Tax Analyst
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As a core member of the Payroll team in Global Business Services and Human Resources (HR) Operational Services, you will demonstrate in depth knowledge in regards to US payroll tax law and regulation.
Reporting to the Payroll Tax & Accounting Manager, you are responsible for monitoring payroll tax activities internally and externally. Collectively collaborate with team to proactively monitor internal controls to ensure accuracy, compliance and timely tax filing & reporting to government authorities.
This position is eligible to work remotely and may be located anywhere in the United States. Eastern or Central time zones preferred.
- Payroll Tax Liaison & Accountabilities: Collaborates with team along with various workstreams to resolve employee inquiries/cases within the Service Level Agreement (SLA) timeframe. Documents the source, seeks proper approvals, determines any necessary transactions & documents them according to ABB policies that will effectively substantiate actions taken.This includes timely execution of all tax updates on employee records
- Accountable for analysis of payroll or Master Data related entries that impact the accuracy of tax withholding or reporting. Helps identify drivers for these abnormalities, researches, analyzes and documents as well as propose corrective action
- Responsible for recording, monitoring, and resolving agency tax notices and tracers with 3rd party provider and government agencies, as well as validating all 3rd party provider and agency responses
- Performs detailed jurisdictional reconciliations for internal and external audits
- Creates adhoc reporting to support internal and external functions
- Researches and remains current with payroll tax compliance laws and regulations covering the US ABB regions and provides payroll tax guidance & awareness of applicable changes and provides appropriate recommendations
- Assists with year end processing and closing
- Assists with HRSP and regression testing collectively with team. Develops test cases and tests BSI (Business Software Incorporated) Tax updates. Keeps SAP and BSI tax configuration current by submitting requests for applicable changes, such as rates and new tax authorities
- Collectively collaborates with team to proactively monitor internal controls to ensure accuracy, compliance and timely tax filing & reporting to government authorities
- Filing and Deposits: Proactively audits and validates payroll tax filings / reports submitted on behalf of ABB by our 3rd party service provider. This position reviews and confirms that all payroll tax deposits are accurate and executed on-time to eliminate any late filing penalties. Position identifies unusual transactions, escalates when appropriate, coordinates resolution and interacts with 3rd party payroll provider. Leads Quarter Balancing and Year End processes with ADP (Automatic Data Processing) Tax Services
- International Payroll Tax and Reporting: Initiates and records earnings and tax adjustments into the applicable payroll system, as requested by ABB’s 3rd party International Tax Partner (PWC). Ensures appropriate documentation exists to prove our employee’s taxable wages and tax liabilities. Engaged in payroll transactions related to Expatriate and Inpatriate employees and monitors the impacts to their taxation
- Sarbanes-Oxley and Internal Control: Provides recommendations for compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements.Confirms that all controls are functioning as designed and proactively identifies areas for improvement in internal controls. Includes testing of segregation of duties (SOD), testing of payroll service’s controls and identifies gaps as well as participating in annual SOX testing and validation exercises
- Assists with quarterly and annual audit engagements with ABB’s Internal and External Auditors. Ensures informational requests are documented, information is provided and that any issues are clearly identified and resolved
- Other: Assists with implementation of key strategies and projects as identified or assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or related field and 2 years of Payroll Tax Accounting experience OR;
- Associate’s degree in business, accounting or related field and 4 years of Payroll Tax Accounting experience OR;
- High School Diploma and 6 years of Payroll Tax Accounting experience
- ADP Tax Services/ADP Smart Compliance experience preferred
- Knowledge of Payroll tax reporting and compliance in a multi state / large corporation
- Proficient in MS Excel spreadsheet and database design and creation: pivot tables, “What if” analysis, data extraction and reporting
- Proficiency with ERP general ledger system
- Must maintain confidential information discreetly and protect employee privacy
- Able to work effectively in a fast paced environment, adapt well to changing priorities to meet deadlines and work on various initiatives concurrently
- Critical thinking skills needed to investigate and resolve issues
- Ability to work in a flexible environment where requirements and procedures continuously evolve
- Highly ethical, analytical, team oriented, flexible, inquisitive & logical
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) designation is preferred
- SAP payroll Module experience preferred
- Workday experience a plus
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
Global Business Services (GBS) is ABB’s shared services organization which delivers operational and expert services in Finance, Human Resources, Information Systems, Legal, Global Travel Services and external Customer Contact Centers. With employees based in five main hubs and front offices, GBS provides mainly Business services to ABB teams across the globe as well as supports with external customer inquiries.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.