SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
We are seeking a Petroleum Inspector to cover areas in and around the St. Louis area, who will be responsible for performing quantity determination inspections of ships, barges and pipeline transfers of petroleum, petrochemical and chemical products.
- Physically sample, measure, and take the temperature of vessel’s tanks and shore tanks utilizing a variety of methods dictated by company and API procedures.
- Calculates and reports quantities transferred and perform full reconciliation of same.
- Accurately complete all required reports and forms.
- Work in cooperation with client’s representatives, U.S. Customs, vessel personnel, government agents and shore facility personnel to insure accurate results are achieved.
- Maintain regular communication with office staff with reference to job status, problems, concerns, etc.
- Maintain knowledge and adhere to the latest industry and client procedures and standards as provided by SGS.
- Individual must be dependable and reliable whose daily presence adds to the success of the Department.
- Operate to the highest standards of ethics, in accordance with the SGS Statement of Integrity including adhering to all company safety practices.
- Assist in other branch duties as assigned related to back office support and housekeeping.
- High School degree or general education degree (GED).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from individuals and/or groups both within the organization or while representing the organization.
- Basic math comprehension with an aptitude for fractions.
- Must have flexible work schedule to work extended or abnormal hours (evenings, weekend / holiday) when needed to meet business commitments. Schedule usually is 6 days on call – 2 days off (on call 24 hours).
- Must be able to travel to multi-locations directly from home / office and travel daily which can lead up to being away from home up to 24 hours at a time.
- All required licenses must be maintained in an active status without suspension or revocation throughout employment.
- Depending on location, company vehicle will be assigned. If not, must have reliable insured transportation, with sufficient room to carry equipment; will be provided with vehicle allowance.
- Must live within an hour from work location.
Must be able to perform job duties as it pertains to:
- Working outdoors during adverse weather conditions (rain, heat, cold, etc.,)
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Must be able to climb storage tank ladders and stairs, typically 25 to 65 feet high.
- Must be able to climb vessel gangways, stairs, ladders, etc.
- Must be able to carry up to 50 pounds of samples, gear or equipment.
- Must be able to differentiate between colors accurately by sight.
Depending on situation, may have to utilize SCBA and / respirator. (Will be trained and fit tested).
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.