SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
Petroleum Inspector, Advanced supervises cargo inspection of the bulk cargo quantity and quality inspection for crude oil, refined fuels, and other petroleum products. Performs Field Audits as required. May occasionally train new team members and provide input to employee performance evaluations. Acts in accordance with Client, SGS Operational Excellence practices and Industry standards.
- Perform Field Audits as required.
- Physically samples, measures, and takes the temperature of vessel’s tanks and shore tanks utilizing a variety of methods dictated by company and American Petroleum Institute (API) procedures.
- Follows Safely standards and performs job efficiently. Works within defined technical processes and procedures or methodologies.
- Calculates and reports quantities of the bulk liquid or gaseous hydrocarbon transferred and performs full reconciliation.
- Completes all required reports and forms, using the SGS propriety Ship Inspection Report (SIR) and / or Site Acceptance Test (SAT) systems.
- Works in cooperation with client’s representatives, US Customs, vessel personnel, government agents and shore facility personnel.
- May occasionally train new team members and provide input to employee performance evaluations.
- Maintains regular communication with the business unit office staff with reference to job status, problems, concerns, etc.
- Maintains knowledge and adheres to the latest industry, client and SGS internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Operates to the highest standards of ethics, in accordance with the SGS Code of Integrity including adhering to all company safety practices.
- Assists in other branch duties as assigned related to back office support and housekeeping.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School or equivalent (Required)
- 2 to 5 years of transferrable industry experience (Required)
- Completion of internal Inspector Development Program Level (Preferred)
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid Driver’s License (Required)
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) (Preferred)
- Must maintain valid Driver’s License and TWIC card once obtained through course of employment (Required)
- International Federation of Inspection Agencies (IFIA) Certification (Preferred)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Has working knowledge and experience in profession (Required)
- Develops competence by performing structured work assignments (Required)
- Uses prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems (Required)
- Exercises discretion and independent judgement as needed (Required)
- Language Skills: English – Basic level (Required)
- Mathematical Skills: Basic level of proficiency with a good understanding of fractions and decimals (Required)
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level (Required)
- Communication Skills: Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from individuals and/or groups both within the organization or while representing the organization (Required)
- Flexibility: Must be flexible with ability to accept changes in instructions on short notice (Required)
- Individual must be dependable and reliable whose daily presence adds to the success of the Department (Required)
- Must have a positive attitude and show eagerness to accomplish goals and achieve desired results while working independently or in a team setting (Required)
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision (Required)
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, while performing numerous projects with different deadlines (Required)
- Ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources into solutions (Required)
- MS Office - Basic to Intermediate user proficiency (Required)
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.