Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
Responsible for managing the activities of the maintenance department of a large complex plant to keep building and equipment in proper state of repair, in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flow and production lines running at maximum efficiency. Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventative/ Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).Core Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventive and Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Ensures appropriate scheduling of work to promote maximum amount completed with minimal plant downtime, resulting in higher plant efficiency.
Maintenance Staff and Safety
- Manages the maintenance staff through delegation, policy and procedure administration, assignment of work responsibilities, planning, organizing, directing and follow-up of the work assignment.
- Promotes plant safety performance through administration, enforcement of company and plant policies, procedures and training consistent with the objectives of Smithfield and in compliance with Federal and State agencies.
- Accountable for providing long term solutions and day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Ensures the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues.
- Capital project development and post-approval management.
- Manages and schedules project elements to ensure minimal interruption to plant operations.
- Delivers finished projects as designed, on time and on budget with no safety, food safety or environmental issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.).
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- High level of leadership skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Possess advanced technical skills in the mechanical/electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical engineering, etc.) and is able to lead resource planning efforts in a large manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order process, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits