The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Are you an enthusiastic, goal-oriented Human Resources professional who can lead projects, enforce policy, multi-task, and uphold programs in the manufacturing industry? Then you should join us in growing one of America’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods! The Human Resources team is searching for ambitious personnel to join their everyday mission to discover, hire, and retain great talent. These personnel are the conduit for positive employee relations, performance management, and focal point for benefits/compensation. You would be instrumental in achieving Smithfield’s goal to become the #1 consumer packaged goods company in the world!
This position manages, directs and coordinates the human resource policies and programs covering the following HR Functions: labor relations, wage and salary administration, orientation and training, safety and health, benefits and employee services. This position also manages and implements human resources strategies by establishing department accountability, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations. The facility HR Director provides leadership and guidance to the Human Resource team to ensure processes and programs support Smithfield Foods mission and objectives.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Partner with local leadership to develop organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contribute information, analysis, and recommendations to align strategic thinking and direction; establish human resources objectives in line with overall organizational objectives.
- Supervise human resource staff directly or through supervisors; plan, assign and review assignments; counsel staff; evaluate job performance and approve or recommend actions.
- Manage all HR functions at the facility to include; employee recruitment, succession planning, retention, orientation, training & development,compensation, records management, employee and labor relations, benefit & employee services, either through primary function or through performance of subordinates.
- Align and implement all corporate policies, programs and procedures to drive the \'One Smithfield\' approach.
- Implement and manage on-going policies, programs, and procedures to foster understanding of an improvement in management, supervisory or employee relations.
- Responsible for local policies involving labor relations, contract interpretation and compliance issues to ensure compliance with DOL, FLSA, OFCCP, and EEO.
- Manages the negotiations of and strategy of the local labor agreement(s) to represent Smithfield's best interest.
- Promotes and maintains satisfactory relations between the company and union.
- Provides a positive image of the company in the local community.
- Develops and conducts a variety of training initiatives to upgrade the overall effectiveness of the local operations.
- Counsel managers and/or supervisors concerning human resource policies and procedures; review and resolve issues.
- Ensure administrative, management and production employee retention at the facility is maintained at an acceptable level.
- Use knowledge, experience, and continuous interpretation of facility dynamics to help understand and determine the training and educational needs of the production, distribution, administrative and management employees.
- Oversee and manage situations involving policy or contract interpretation to ensure consistent practices.
- Lead and mentor others to ensure consistent application of all such rules and policies.
- Develop and implement innovative solutions to employee and/or labor relations issues affecting the facility to mitigate any legal or compliance-related risks.
- Maintain a positive labor and employee relations environment at the facility by counseling managers and employees on human resource policies and rules, identifying and resolving problems or recommending courses of action.
- Manage the development and ongoing execution of the plant and the distribution center's Affirmation Action plan to achieve AAP goals during entire employment process for all employees (recruitment, promotions, transition processes).
- Perform analysis and prepare statistical reports, narrative reports and communications for use in formulating goals and objectives.
- Manage employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Human Resources, Business or related field, and 8+ years of exempt experience in HR; required.
- MBA is preferred.
- PHR or SPHR certification desirable.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management,required.
- Knowledge of labor/employment law, contract negotiations experience and grievance resolution experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic thinking and planning, problem solving, decision making and complex project management.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization and to professionally present information to top management.
- Strong reasoning, math, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite software (word, excel, power point and outlook) and ability to navigate and research the Internet, SAP/HCM, and Payroll database software.
- Possess specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures.
- Bi-lingual skills preferred: Speak, read, write, address groups, individuals, conduct investigations, counseling, training, mentoring, using language other than English (as applicable to the business unit).
- Must be able to travel 10% of the time.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources staff at the plant.
- Carries out managerial/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits