Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
This position is responsible for the clerical and administrative function of the plant purchasing, which includes the maintenance area. This position processes requisitions, opens, distributes and issues purchase orders, maintains a database to track all orders and contacts vendors with orders.Core Responsibilities
- Research vendor account information for order fulfillment of various parts and invoice issues on a daily basis via telephone and email correspondence.
- Expedite and follow-up with suppliers to schedule deliveries, resolve materials issues, discrepancies, outstanding deliverables of orders placed by the MRO buyer.
- Control and track items that need to be repaired or rebuilt.
- Complete monthly preventative measures on tools, fall protection and inventory of of-site parts.
- Manage the consumable vendors on ordering required parts.
- Assist in reviewing Maintenance PM’s for accuracy.
- Responsible for running and providing reports to upper management on a variety of Purchasing and Maintenance needs daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Maintain open communication with the Maintenance staff to address concerns on the parts room.
- Responsible for providing customer service to the plant to complete part(s) order requests.
- Responsible for training any new employees within the department.
- Maintain a clean environment within the parts room to ensure compliance with all Safety, Food Safety and Environmental requirements.
- Communicate with all vendors in emergency situations to ensure expedited service for any equipment not functioning.
- Work with vendors to correct problem orders (example, incorrect pricing or invoice, obtain proof of delivery, track deliveries, etc.)
- Open and enter Plant Purchase Orders for the receiving and bill paying position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years’ experience in purchasing/parts room inventory/vendor relations; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- APICS Certification is preferred.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and power point.
- SAP knowledge, preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, e.g. Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Bi-lingual, preferred.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance, vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.