Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
Our organization is searching for a dynamic Plant Manager to take on the responsibility of overseeing plant activities in order to meet business objectives. The successful candidate will be accountable for all aspects of plant performance and will ensure that objectives are attained in a cost-effective manner that’s consistent with quality requirements. This position is responsible for planning, leading, guiding, directing, and managing a business unit site consistent with policies and procedures of Smithfield as well as with Federal, state and local law. Accountable for the high quality of all products produced, the profitability of the facility, the safety of employees, security of the facility, budget planning, management and control, human resource utilization and treatment, and the development of a total employee team. Responsible for the entire facilities plant labor, raw material, yields; supplies, waste and human resources are managed in the most effective manner, resulting in a positive contribution to the bottom line of the company P&L.Core Responsibilities
Yield & Labor
- Establishes achievable goals and follows up all progress; positive or negative.
- Trains and coaches supervisors/management to recognize opportunities and realize their impact on the operation.
- Tracks progress of yields, labor, and all related expenses.
- Identifies opportunities and implement solutions.
- Formulates or approves short−and long−term operating objectives in areas such as cost reduction, quality improvement, new product development and/or integration as undertaken at the plant level.
- Establishes accurate fixed and capital budgets for annual planning purposes.
- Works to ensure operation is functioning to cost and budget so all aspects of the operation contribute to the total P&L.
Safety & Quality
- Ensures efficient and profitable operations by conformation to specifications and procedures.
- Trains, manages, and directs all support staff activities to include HR/Safety, Food Safety/QA, Accounting, Maintenance and Production supervision.
- Enables plant to ensure all aspects of the operation are consistent, and operates within Smithfield's standards.
- Facilitates a profitable operation that produces safe quality products efficiently.
- Ensures approachability and support to all levels of employees. Ensures management and hourly interaction remains contributable to a positive and effective team. Maintains accurate and open communication at all times.
- Establishes and maintains favorable plant company−community relationships through active participation in community affairs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from regionally accredited four-year college or university in Agriculture, Animal Science, Business or related field and 10+ years’ experience in plant management; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor's degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations procedures.
- Solid understanding of OSHA, USDA and Food Safety regulations.
- Knowledge of different pork products and the Meat Industry, preferred.
- Ability to work with, and lead, a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of SAP and Microsoft software (Excel and Word).
- Solid understanding of cost accounting and P&L management.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and verbal formats.
- High level of organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills.
- Must be able to travel 10% of the time and work nights & weekends.
- Bi-Lingual, preferred.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the specified plant, which includes all managers, supervisors, office workers, and production employees.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.