Responsible for every aspect of acclimating a new employee to the department. Conduct thorough orientation for all new employees, topics include, but not limited to; handbook, policies and procedures, benefits, food safety, safety training, hands-on training, and environmental. Train employees that require lock out tag out, mule and forklift training, and other training as necessary. Also conduct required communication meetings, evaluate and advise employees on job requirements and perform accident investigations. Record keeping and other administrative tasks will be required as assigned by the department supervisor.Core Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 years’ experience in a Manufacturing environment and/or training, required.
- Meat Industry experience, preferred.
- Must be highly skilled in the use of straight and whizard knives to include sharpening techniques and the maintenance of steels, mouse traps and other related sharpening equipment.
- Must be willing to take instruction from Master Knife Trainers and train according to our best practices.
- Must have the ability to train and communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Ability to evaluate employee performance/techniques with cutting tools.
- Must be an effective teacher/trainer exhibiting patience and dedication.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations calmly and exhibit good judgement.
- Must have good time management skills.
- Bilingual, preferred.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits