Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Principal Information Technology Engineer, Virtualization at our Chantilly, Virginia location. The primary purpose of this job is to provide the highest level of technical expertise and functional knowledge for the evaluation, selection, implementation and ongoing operation of highly complex, secure enterprise technologies. This is a technical leadership role for assigned technologies to ensure effective operations, communicate effectively, and coordinate between stakeholders at all levels.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Work as the highest-level technical engineering expert for IT. Act as an internal consultant and architect for the IT Engineering and Operations Management.
- Design, implement, and evaluate current and future initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance.
- Isolate and Resolve complex systems problems.
- Accountable for development and implementation of engineering standards and processes.
- Develop, modify and implement standard operating procedures for hardware/software, and system design, originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities.
- Assist management and engineering staff in the evaluation, analysis, architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise programs and projects.
- Lead the Enterprise Architecture designs, guidance and requirements for incorporation into departmental processes and technical documents.
- Research, analyze, evaluate and provide recommendations to management on future technology direction.
- Perform peer review on complex change implementations, to ensure completeness and minimal impact to members.
- Deploy and document changes in accordance with enterprise problem and change management processes.
- Lead problem management and root cause analysis discussions with fellow engineers and analysts.
- Proactively identify solutions to potential issues and embrace simplification.
- Serve as escalation point for high severity issues and troubleshoot / resolve complex incidents.
- Provide assistance and expertise to management on improvements to company productivity, systems performance, high availability, monitoring, and operational costs.
- Provide training, mentoring, consulting, and knowledge transfer to other engineering staff.
- Maintain close relations with vendors and resellers. Assist management in maintaining service agreements, maintenance contracts, or other assigned vendor-related administrative duties.
- Drive and be accountable for all assigned tasks, and remain continuously self-challenged in setting and delivering on agreed deadlines and milestones.
- Serve as technical team lead on programs or projects that are assigned by management.
- Require the ability to thoroughly understand the entire enterprise environment and use that knowledge to consult and design end-to-end solutions that meet business and IT goals and strategies.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- In lieu of a degree, combination of education and a minimum of twelve (12) years’ of related work experience is required that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to perform all the essential job functions.
- Extensive hands-on, senior-level experience with VMware technologies
- Extensive hands-on experience with enterprise compute (Cisco UCS, HPE)
- Strong understanding of system design and integration, with a thorough familiarity of public, private, and hybrid cloud technologies.
- Strong understanding of SAN storage technologies
- Strong understanding of network technologies
- Practical, hands-on experience with Azure and AWS platforms
- Demonstrated automation-scripting experience with infrastructure technologies
- Practical understanding of Active Directory and Azure AD Hybrid
- Familiarity w/ software distribution, patching tools, and best practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to communicate effectively with all levels of audience including executive leadership.
- Powerful analytical and problem-solving skills- including the ability to develop solutions in new and creative ways.
- Ability to independently clarify and assess ambiguous issues in order to develop consensus toward a solution.
- Experience in developing architectural designs, topologies and implementation engineering guidance documents.
- Experience training or mentoring both technical and non-technical diverse audiences.
Licenses and Certifications
Job-specific licenses and/or certifications may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.