I. Support Product Development Activity:
1. Follow R&D projects from inception to completion.
2. Ensure acceptable production window for new products.
3. Provide support to sales and marketing regarding technical issues associated with R&D projects or samples.
4. Conduct DOE as needed for process improvement or process/product development.
5. Familiar with Material Specification system, modify or enter new specs when needed.
6. Stay abreast of new materials, equipment and processes. Make recommendations if appropriate.
II. Support Plant Production Activity:
Provide support to the plant’s process improvement activity.
2. Identify and help solve process problems.
3. Support the plant's quality department:
A. Help perform capability studies.
B. Help with root cause analysis of complaints.
C. Help establishing test methods.
D. Assist in the Pre-Production Quality Planning (PPQP) when process capabilities are in question.
4. Assists in the development of training programs for the production area.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Work Experience, Etc.):
Minimum [Must have to be considered for the position]:
• BS in Engineering (Substantial relevant work experience and strong mechanical aptitude may substitute.)
• Experience with and knowledge of printing and lamination equipment and process.
• The ability to perform Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE's), capability studies
and Reliability & Repeatability Studies (R & R).
• Level 2 understanding of SPC (Preferred).
• Must have two of the three following qualifications:
-Experience with blown film and cast film extrusion.
-Experience with and knowledge of flexible packaging equipment and processes.
-Experience with adhesives, ovens and/or drying technology.
Desired [Will provide job holder with added skill(s) to perform duties]:
• Manufacturing supervision experiences a plus.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Experience with time studies and process flow optimization.
• Good project management skills.
• The ability to reach closure on assigned tasks within suspense dates.
• Strong problem solving skills.
The Sr. Process and Product Development Engineer will interact with all levels of the organization, i.e., with operators through senior managers. To be effective, he/she must be sensitive to, and cooperatively blend, the needs and goals of these various levels with the common denominator being the achievement of organizational objectives, e.g., scrap reduction, cost reductions, efficiency increases, positive employee/employer relations. He or she will need good team leadership and facilitator skills, since this position will likely be involved in leading team problem solving and improvement activities.