Summary: Learns basic farm management and leadership requirements, and becomes certified in all aspects of company systems and the pork industry standards. Position works under the supervision of the appropriate department leader while performing all duties and responsibilities as part of T
a learning/development process. Position is normally given to management candidates that require more development in a particular area like language proficiency, leadership experience, or direct swine knowledge.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Learns, demonstrates capability/knowledge and becomes certified in all farm department areas including fulfilling all the requirements and responsibilities listed under the Breeding/Farrowing and Nursery/Finishing job description.
• Care and management of animals, including treatment, feeding, breeding, farrowing assistance, and basic diagnosis.
• Gains a solid understanding of and ability to implement company systems such as pig production processes, animal flow, farm health, genetics, husbandry, etc.
• Becomes certified in each job after showing competence and skill/understanding in each.
• Learn departmental management and lead by example.
• Works as a team player in the accomplishment of daily work requirements and farm goals.
• Develops and establishes rapport/relationships with all personnel and management, including English proficiency.
• Develops and prepares required reports on experiences encountered and addresses/shares opportunities for improvement.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as defined by management according to standards.
• Responsible for compliance with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes.
• Incumbent will be responsible for understanding and complying with company IPS, biosecurity, animal welfare, and EMS policies and procedures in the performance of their job duties.
• Report all environmental, animal care, and biosecurity issues immediately to their supervisor.
• Perform the responsibilities as the acting HOD as needed by management
• Be on call to work in emergency situations such as alarm calls, inclement weather, power outages, personnel shortages, and environmental emergencies.
• Responsible for progression in the Manager Training development program. Report any issue that interferes with completion of development program to Human Resources.
• Perform necropsy to collect tissue samples needed for diagnosis.
• Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.