Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
This position is accountable for providing effective direction and coordination for the assigned plant through a group of first-line Production Supervisors. The plants have operations ranging from non-skilled, semi-skilled and skilled production employees. Plants produce products to meet scheduled commitments and may operate up to three shifts per day seven days a week. Guides and advises production supervisors in interpretation of plant and company policies and procedures. Takes appropriate action to maximize production yields, plans for future capacity and maintains flexibility in the production operations needed due to the variances. This position is on the 2nd shift (1:30pm to 11:30pm M-F with regular Saturday work.)Core Responsibilities
- Assists in maintaining acceptable plant profitability.
- Monitors yields and efficiencies daily and takes corrective action when appropriate.
- Maintains safety and ergonomic programs to ensure a safe working environment and while attaining company goal of an injury free workplace.
- Develops topics for at line meetings, trains employees to perform job safely; identifies and corrects safety hazards and ergonomic issues; attends safety and ergonomic meetings; determines strategies to meet goals of reduce injuries and cost per claim of injuries.
- Trains all supervisors and employees in company policies and procedures; counsels and or takes corrective action as necessary; develops and maintains a program of continuous improvement
- Maintains product quality and customer service standards.
- Ensures that sanitation standards are met daily; ensures product specifications and quality index are met or exceeded.
- Ensures that department manning and product scheduling is adequate to meet customer needs.
- Ensures company and USDA standards are met.
- Performs daily troubleshooting, implementing corrective action when necessary.
- Conducts line meetings as necessary to discuss violations and required actions to ensure compliance.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 4+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Experience using multiple computer applications including but not limited to Kronos, SAP and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations procedures.
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards and USDA and HACCP regulations.
- Bilingual, a plus.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Provides leadership and guidance to employees on the Production floor.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.