Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Train and coach line personal on proper procedures.
- Properly position and rotate line personal to maximize efficiency.
- Use computer controls to adjust programs, settings and parameters.
- Trouble shoot problems effectively to prevent downtime.
- Effectively communicate with Processing Supervisor, Line Lead, Operator, Rework Handler, and line personnel to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Help prepare and conduct effective product changeovers.
- Ability to assist minor mechanical adjustments.
- Follow our color code system in regards to food safety and GMPs
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Monitor all breaks including lunch to ensure line staff returns on time.
- Read scale to maintain proper weight per specification.
- Ability to interpret product specification and ensure proper materials, weights, and procedures are being followed.
- Direct line staff in end of day procedures after production is completed
- Other duties as directed by Supervisor.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 years’ experience in a Manufacturing environment and/or training, required.
- Meat Industry experience, preferred.
- Must be highly skilled in the use of straight and whizard knives to include sharpening techniques and the maintenance of steels, mouse traps and other related sharpening equipment.
- Must be willing to take instruction from Master Knife Trainers and train according to our best practices.
- Must have the ability to train and communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Ability to evaluate employee performance/techniques with cutting tools.
- Must be an effective teacher/trainer exhibiting patience and dedication.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations calmly and exhibit good judgement.
- Must have good time management skills.
- Bilingual, preferred.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits