Program Director - QMS PMO, Pharma Services
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics (www.QuestDiagnostics.com) is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. We are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, with 2020 revenues of $9.44 billion.
The Program Director is responsible for directing very high complexity matrixed teams to deliver high visibility, strategic programs and company-wide initiatives. Typically manages a portfolio of multiple programs and/or projects across multi-disciplinary teams. Programs are normally very high complexity considering total cost, financial impact, systems impacted, performing labs, software development, test code complexity and outside entities/third parties.
This position leverages Quest Management System (QMS) principles and tools in their daily work and acts as a change agent and role model to help reinforce the desired behaviors and embed QMS tools and methodologies. Drives continuous improvement efforts and is also responsible for coaching others to learn and apply QMS principles in order to embed the tools and methodologies into our normal way of doing things.
QMS is Quest Diagnostics’ approach to using a set of proven tools and methodologies to drive successful execution of, and results from, key initiatives and day-to-day work. It is the structured way we manage, lead, and solve problems. It is built on 7 practices:
1. Management approach & governance
2. Breakthrough management and Hoshin planning
3. Customer insights and solutions development
4. Process management
5. Continuous improvement
6. Project management
7. Change management
Quest Diagnostics follows a 5-step approach to project management consistent with that of the world-renowned Project Management Institute (PMI): Initiate – Plan – Execute – Monitor – Close.
The Program Director consults with Research & Development, Clinical Franchises, Commercial, Regulatory and Quality, IT, Operations, Business Development and Companion DX organizations to design the rollout of optimized solutions that meet complex strategic goals while collaborating with the aforementioned organizations to ensure seamless transition of products, tests and offerings from inception to sunset.
Examples include high visibility, strategic programs and company-wide initiatives with new Laboratory Test Development, Regulatory approval process for US and Ex-US, Commercial Test Launches, standardization efforts, IT functionality/connectivity/software development and updates
The Program Director provides comprehensive written and verbal status updates to C-suite leadership, senior leadership, executive/program sponsor and key stakeholders for key strategic programs. Understanding and experience with CDx terminologies and processes as well as the Pharma drug launch process is critical to the success of the role.
The Program Director is responsible for driving broad cross-functional process improvement initiatives, as well as ensuring best practices are utilized throughout planning and execution management.
Applies continuous improvement tools and techniques, as well as other QMS principles and tools, toward a variety of large or complex problems. Manages a portfolio of initiatives that drive process improvement within and across Franchises and other organizations as part of the Product lifecycle management process.
• Assignments will focus on Pharma Services; working with both the internal product team, Pharmaceutical/CRO/Central Lab clients and regulatory agencies
• Programs will begin during the assessment phase, through delivery of the contracted product/service
• Provides Project leadership, has experience with approval process by regulatory agencies (US and Ex-US) , understands regulatory project process and nuances associated with regulatory projects, helps team stay on task and manage aggressive time lines and understands time lines change frequently based on the Pharma and drug launch time lines.
• Performs root cause analysis using CI tools (e.g., 5 whys, lessons learned) at project and program level. Documents and communicates project shortfalls. Drives corrective action, analyzing at the project level, trending across projects/programs (people, process, system).
• Drives learning, application, and adoption of QMS tools and methodologies and coaches other employees on the use of various tools, concepts and practices foundational to QMS.
• Responsible for program performance, risk management, administration and issue resolution for the functional team. Develop quality assurance and control plans where indicated.
• Directs programs and cross functional working teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, monitor and close projects. Acts as the primary liaison at the project and program level for all related information.
• Develops and executes project plans, milestone charts, project/program documentation and scorecards according to requirements defined and approved by sponsor.
• Facilitates high profile large scale intra- and inter-organizational meetings, workshops and targeted improvement events to help teams quickly achieve strategic objectives.
• Manages project deliverables in accordance with approved schedules. Analyzes critical path, proactively identifying issues and raising/facilitating resolution with cross-functional team. Drives visibility to gaps impacting overall schedule. Synchronize projects at program level to optimize delivery. Drive visibility to critical path and gaps impacting overall schedule. Drive roadblocks to resolution.
• Manages sponsor and stakeholder expectations and establish regular points of communication.
• Manages changes to project and or program scope, cost and schedule via formal change management process.
• Proactively identifies and manages project/program risks. Directs team members, key stakeholders and sponsors through roadblocks/barriers to resolution.
• Acts as a change agent to drive key stakeholders, project/program sponsor and leadership toward success.
• Tracks cost, budget, resources, plan and schedules and manage changes at program level as appropriate. Ensures project artifacts are collected, documented and stored for audit and lessons learned purposes.
• Direct external vendors as indicated to plan and execute program requirements. Act as liaison for all program related communications and status updates.
• Actively participates in QMS PM Community.
• Leads cross-functional efforts to develop and communicate business process documentation where absent/improvements needed to drive successful project/program planning and execution.
• Understands strategic business direction with respect to portfolio/sub-portfolio and is able to prioritize initiatives and control program execution.
• May manage up to five Project Managers.
o Participate in the hiring of new resources.
o Coaches and counsels direct reports.
o Provides counseling related to career path to direct reports.
o Guides direct reports in developing personal learning plans.
o Supports skill development of direct reports.
o Participates in performance review and feedback process.
o Helps resolve performance issues for direct reports.
Up to five Project or Program Managers
Education and Certifications
• Bachelor’s Degree required (BS/BA)
• PMP Certified Project Management, Certified Program Management Professional (externally administered by the Project Management Institute) strongly preferred
• Formal training in project management or continuous improvement methodologies (e.g., Six Sigma, Total Quality Management, Lean) a plus
• Demonstrated experience leading projects/programs from initiation to completion in a matrixed organization (10+ years’ experience)
• Experience driving Product Development and IT efforts in Pharmaceutical Sector required
• Experience in managing regulatory projects
Physical and Mental Requirements
• Perform job duties with frequent interruptions or distractions
• Adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate.
• Ability to interact professionally with colleagues and/or customers for different purposes in different contexts.
• Maintain composure under pressure
• Performs a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another
• Ability to comprehend and follow verbal or written instructions
• Using effective verbal communication
• Using effective written communication
• Concentrate on tasks
• Ability to making decisions
• Examine/observe details
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills; results and process-oriented
• Proven ability to deliver results in a matrixed organization
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills across multiple formats at all organizational levels: formal presentations, facilitation of virtual meetings using conference calls and computer-based presentation tools, e-mails, and memos
• Advanced with MS office applications (Project, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel)
• Composed when faced with conflict or difficult issue. Able to independently drive conflict/difficult issue to conclusion - leaving stakeholders dedicated and committed to moving forward regardless of position
• Outstanding negotiation and decision-making skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with others
• Accountable, creative, strategic and flexible
• Able to independently learn, articulate and drive new concepts rapidly
• Ability to work independently absent supervision
• Ability to operate in a dynamic environment and quickly adapts to change; must have ability to promote and build teamwork; exhibits assertiveness, delegates and empowers team members with focused leadership and commitment to meeting program goals and objectives
• Demonstrated understanding of continuous improvement, process management, or system thinking
• Skilled with "big picture" and selling vision to key stakeholders
• Demonstrated experience leading change
• Demonstrated ability to influence business leaders
• General knowledge of Hoshin and breakthrough planning
• Superior analytical skills
• Mastered use of program/project tools and methodology
• 0-10% travel expected (expectations shown are targeted ranges; actual travel required will vary by project and can exceed or go below targeted amounts)
• Some evening and weekend work hours may be required, depending on project needs
About Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics empowers people to take action to improve health outcomes. Derived from the world's largest database of clinical lab results, our diagnostic insights reveal new avenues to identify and treat disease, inspire healthy behaviors and improve health care management. Quest Diagnostics annually serves one in three adult Americans and half the physicians and hospitals in the United States, and our nearly 50,000 employees understand that, in the right hands and with the right context, our diagnostic insights can inspire actions that transform lives.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
• Forbes® Global 2000
• Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes® 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron’s 500
• Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year.
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
About COVID-19 testing at Quest Diagnostics
Quest Diagnostics is at the forefront of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, working to broaden access to laboratory insights to help us all lead healthier lives. We provide both molecular diagnostic and antibody serology tests to aid in the diagnosis of COVID-19 and immune response. Our COVID-19 test services are based on tests that have received FDA emergency use authorization and which also meet our high standards for quality. We are providing these test services under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act.
We provide data on COVID-19 testing to various federal and state public health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and participate in studies with government and private institutions, aiding COVID-19 public health response and research. Through our team of dedicated phlebotomists, air fleet team, couriers and laboratory professionals, Quest Diagnostics works hard every day to help patients and communities across the United States access quality COVID-19 testing.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.