- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Six (6) years of experience as a cybersecurity officer/engineer, information systems security officer, or specialized expertise in cyber policy, intelligence, analytics, budget, audit, metrics, or training such that it meets the specific role posted
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity or a related technical field
ADDITIONAL CRITERIA FOR PROGRESSION
- Note: Progression is not automatic nor guaranteed and is dependent on successfully completing the specified workload requirements
- Candidates for promotion meet the minimum qualifications and work experience of the next career ladder series job before consideration for advancement
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Cybersecurity Officer Lead is responsible for ensuring that the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) cybersecurity program is conducted based on the cybersecurity strategy and that it aligns well with industry best practices such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) framework. The officer ensures that the skills necessary for an effective cybersecurity program are defined and that there is adequate funding to hire the right people to provide those skills. The officer designs an effective security awareness program to educate and change the cybersecurity culture of the WMATA staff, as well as develop security policies for compliance with internal and external audits. The officer is responsible for making sure that the selection and implementation of cybersecurity controls are built into the initial stages of any system/software acquisition and system/application vulnerability scans will be conducted to ensure controls implementation for all systems and applications.
- Oversees and contributes to the development of cybersecurity career enhancing workforce plans, strategies, and guidance to enable the development and retention of the best professionals possible. Creates training and education requirements to address changes to cybersecurity policy, emerging threats, certification requirements and industry best practices through partnerships with universities, certification companies, state/federal partners and other innovative strategies that deliver relevant content. Creates a strong culture of cybersecurity within the IT organization and drives behavioral changes for all business units within WMATA. Ensures that timely, mission-focused, and tailored cybersecurity training and developmental opportunities are provided to cybersecurity personnel.
- Oversees and contributes to the creation of governance standards based on NIST and other frameworks (policies, processes, workplans, templates, etc.) by which the WMATA Cybersecurity program is managed and measured against. Develops and maintains cybersecurity plans, strategy, and policy to support and align with organizational cybersecurity initiatives and regulatory compliance. Ensures that WMATA's cybersecurity program has a governance model based on best practice.
- Oversees and contributes to performance assessments of threats and vulnerabilities for systems and networks within the network environment; determines deviations from acceptable configurations, enterprise or local policy; assesses the level of risk; and develops and/or recommends appropriate mitigation countermeasures in operational and nonoperational situations. Measures the effectiveness of defense-in-depth architecture against known vulnerabilities. Ensures that system and network threats and vulnerabilities are identified and remediated in a timely manner.
- Oversees and contributes to performance evaluations of the IT security program and its individual components to determine compliance with published standards. Tracks finding and reports of remediation progress. Supports policy compliance, governance and incident response programs. Prepares audit reports that identify technical and procedural findings and provides recommended remediation strategies/solutions. Coordinates external audit requirements. Ensures that systems, processes and people follow published policy and alerts personnel to potential risk areas.
- Oversees and compiles and reviews budgets for the Cybersecurity program using actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports, and other data sources to control funds and provide for proper financial administration. Uses an understanding of system security to develop budgetary requirements. Works with the cybersecurity personnel to ensure they effectively plan send monitor their budgets. Tracks contracting costs and needs, managing statement of work efforts. Ensures that the cybersecurity program manages costs effectively, projects future budget needs, improves services received and meet schedule demands for service delivery.
- Oversees, prepares and presents governance and compliance management reports, key performance metrics, scorecards, and briefings, as required, to cybersecurity and IT leadership. Works with leadership to use continuous monitoring scoring and grading metrics to make information security investment decisions to address persistent issues. Works with organization risk analyst to ensure risk metrics are defined realistically to support continuous monitoring. Ensures the enterprise has a cybersecurity scorecard that presents a clear view of the health of the organization, including but not limited to system-level health (categorized by business units and rolled up), operational defensive effectiveness (detection, response, remediation of threats), employee training/effectiveness (phishing, social engineering).
- Oversees the cybersecurity components of the governance, risk and compliance (GRC) tool. Configures and populates the tool to enable security professionals to document a wide-array of controls. Creates and maintains inherited controls at the direction of the Authorizing Official. Supports audit and metric requirements by developing exports and reports. Ensures that all system security controls are tracked and managed effectively.
- Executes a risk-based, repeatable/consistent system security strategy based on the NIST Risk Management Framework/Cybersecurity Framework which includes: control selection and inheritance, drafting and reviewing system authorization documentation, documenting/remediating vulnerabilities, populating a Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) tool, partnering with developers/owners to ensure security is a part of the complete system development life cycle, and continuous monitoring. Ensures that WMATA has a consistent process around system authorization and monitoring.
- As a part of the system security life cycle, provides program oversight and leadership for the evaluation of the effectiveness of procurement function in addressing information security requirements and supply chain risks through procurement activities and recommends improvements. Develops and documents supply chain risks for critical system elements, as appropriate. Ensures that WMATA systems and technology are procured with security considered from the start.
- Oversees, evaluates, and supports the documentation, validation, assessment, and authorization processes necessary to assure that existing and new information technology (IT) systems meet the organization's cybersecurity and risk requirements. Ensures appropriate treatment of risk, compliance, and assurance from internal and external perspectives. Ensures that WMATA has a properly managed risk management framework.
- Oversees and performs privacy impact assessments of an application's security design for the appropriate security controls, which protect the confidentiality and integrity of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and assess the security effectiveness of the security controls. Ensure PII is properly protected in all WMATA systems and applications.
- Oversees and contributes to the implementation of the security controls specified in a security plan or other system documentation and develops a strategy for monitoring control effectiveness; coordinates the system-level strategy with the organization and mission/business process monitoring strategy. Ensures that WMATA has a properly managed risk management framework.
- Advises security leadership (e.g., Chief Information Security Officer [CISO], Director, etc.) on risk levels and security posture of managed systems, and on the cost/benefit analysis of information programs/projects, policies, processes, systems and elements.
- Consults with customers to gather and evaluate functional requirements, determine security controls that mitigate risks, adhere to policy and facilitate customer needs, and translates these requirements into technical solutions. Provides guidance to customers about applicability of security controls to meet business needs. Supports the development phases of the systems development life cycle.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.