Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
Applies theories and principles of science and mathematics to design and develop technical projects for the pork and packaged meat industry. Performs engineering assignments as part of a project team and may have complete responsibility for a section of a project leading a small team under the direction of a more senior engineer. May also lead small to medium complex projects and have full responsibility.Core ResponsibilitiesDesign Work
- Develops preliminary engineering designs and engineering and material specifications.
- Develops project cost estimates.
- Performs design work including researching data, conducting feasibility and economic studies.
- Determines design criteria in accordance with required standards and codes for assigned projects.
- Performs field work and adapts collections to translate completed projects into as-built drawings.
- Reviews and checks engineering projects submitted by plants for completeness, accuracy and soundness of applied engineering principles.
- Acts as project manager, as required.
- Confers with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
- Coordinates and provides direction to equipment vendors to plan layouts, meet utilities requirements and maintain installation schedules.
- Reviews consultants’ submitted work products and recommends adjustments as appropriate.
- Conducts engineering planning, design and operational studies in pre-project studies.
- Determines scope of work, prepares requests for proposals and evaluates proposals.
- Submits weekly reports to management by established deadlines.
- Assists in contract administration including review of bid packages.
- Prepares project documents including justifications, budget analyses, calculations, plans and schedules.
- Monitors installations and ensures proposal specifications and budgets are met.
- Manages budget activities as assigned.
- Acts as a lead by training, mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Project Engineers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering, Engineering Management, or related field and 2+ years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Strong knowledge of fresh pork, meat processing, and case ready application, preferred.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and techniques related to food processing and the meat industry, preferred.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to operational and design issues.
- Knowledge of installation and construction project scheduling.
- Must possess Project Management skills; Contract Administration skills; National codes and standards interpretation skills. Previous experience in the management of multi-million dollar projects with large scopes, desirable.
- Proficient in engineering economics.
- Proficient in AutoCAD drawing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Word processing software, other Microsoft Suite products, the Internet.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning and adaptability.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Travel is required with extended overnight stays.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to Associate Project Engineers.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits