QCS Resident Technician
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
Quality Control System (QCS) Resident Technician occupies an important position in the execution of Service projects and activities related to Process Automation Process Industries in IAPI Service in Albany, Oregon. You will be coordinating and planning the provision of necessary resources, spare parts and logistics for on-site service jobs, ensuring that the process is seamless, from quotation to invoicing and cash collection.
Reporting to the Director, Service Operations, you will be responsible for supporting the full lifecycle of ABB pulp-and-paper quality control products at ABB customer facilities under limited professional supervision. This includes performing preventive and corrective maintenance, testing and troubleshooting proprietary ABB hardware and software, as well as assisting with any projects, upgrades, new installations, and advanced services for the technician’s assigned customer or region. This individual will be required to work independently or as part of a small site team to provide service for customers of ABB pulp-and-paper quality control solutions. The technician will be supported by his or her service team which consists of a coordinator to assist with scheduling of work, a Regional Technical Advisor for mentoring and assistance with the most difficult field problems, and an Operations Manager for direct reporting and personnel issues. The service technician provides mentoring and guidance for junior Field Service Technicians, utilizing his or her wealth of industry experience.
This is a Resident position in the Springfield / Eugene, OR area.
- Maintain ABB’s suite of quality control hardware and software. This includes but is not limited to; cleaning debris from sensors, troubleshooting electrical and mechanical issues with the frame and sensor package, troubleshooting the computer system and Human Machine Interface (HMI)/control software, and maintaining the working state of the entire ABB quality control solution at site. The service technician should be able to handle detailed customer questions about the state of the ABB system on-site.
- Handle difficult customer service related issues while fostering the customer relationship and working to solve technical problems on-site. Deal directly with, and communicate effectively with plant operators, plant management, 3rd party vendors, and other ABB personnel in support of service operations.
- On call for 24 hour emergency support service requests. Team rotation in most areas.
- Participate in the mentoring and development of junior service technicians. Provide on-the-job training for junior technicians and report detailed feedback to the appropriate managers.
- Participate in the contract management for the sites in the Technician’s jurisdiction. Assist with contract renewals and provide evidence regarding the value of the ABB contract to the customer.
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment applying own wealth of industry experience to resolve problems. A good understanding of electrical theory and electrical safety is required in order to perform this job and promote a safe work environment for junior service technicians.
- Accurately document the work that is performed at a customer facility and/or project staging area. Professionally document work completed on periodic preventive maintenance as well as intermittent corrective maintenance tasks. Maintain and review the documentation for the sites in the Technician’s jurisdiction.
- When required, play an active role in various projects such as upgrades, new installations, or new functionality for customers. Coordinate work with other groups to ensure meeting commitments.
- Depending on the service requirements for a particular customer or region, this position may require travel and/or relocation.
- Associates Degree in field relating to instrumentation & control, electrical engineering technology, electronics, instrumentation or process control and minimum 5 years of industry specific experience on ABB pulp and paper quality control products (or equivalent 3rd party vendor products).
- Associates Degree in field relating to instrumentation & control, electrical engineering technology, electronics, instrumentation or process control.
- Candidates must be comfortable using electrical test equipment such as voltmeters or multi-meters safely.
- Mechanical aptitude is preferred.
- Candidates should be comfortable using basic hand tools.
- Travel up to 20% may be required.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
Process Industries division delivers complete electrification and automation solutions, industry-specific products and lifecycle services across industries. Engineering and delivering automation solutions from device to monitoring and control make our customers get more out of their investment; digitalization solutions including collaborative operations and augmented reality help improve plant and enterprise productivity, reduce maintenance and energy costs. Our engineering, project management, services and solutions portfolio covers a wide range of industries - Mining, Pulp & Paper, Metals, Aluminum and Cement, Data centers and Food and Beverage.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.