QMS Program Director – Employer Solutions
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company, traded on the New York Stock Exchange and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2018 revenues of $7.53 Billion, and approximately 46,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers, and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions.
Quest Diagnostics Healthcare IT solutions connect over 165,000 physicians.
Approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and improve their business performance.
FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 4 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category
Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
Forbes Global 2000
Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long- term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
Deliver Innovative Solutions
Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
The QMS Program Director will lead a team of QMS generalists and specialists through a variety of projects to apply Quest Management System (QMS) principles and tools. This position acts as a change agent and role model to help reinforce the desired behaviors and embed QMS tools and methodologies into our normal way of doing things. This position will also be responsible for coaching others to learn and apply QMS principles and tools to their daily work.
This will ensure Quest Diagnostics is efficient and effective in the delivery of its services, solutions, and processes while improving customer and employee satisfaction.
The Quest Management System (QMS) is Quest Diagnostics’ approach to using a set of proven tools and methodologies to drive successful execution of, and results from, key initiatives and day-to-day work. It is the structured way we manage, lead, and solve problems. It is built on 7 practices:
- Management approach & governance
- Breakthrough management and Hoshin planning
- Customer insights and solutions development
- Process management
- Continuous improvement
- Project management
- Change management
Quest Diagnostics follows a 10-step approach to continuous improvement that is also consistent with the world renowned Project Management Institute (PMI)’s 5 phases of projects: Initiate – Plan – Execute – Monitor – Close.
- Drives the learning, application, and adoption of QMS tools and methodologies
- Manages a portfolio of initiatives that drive improvement within his/her functional area or business
- Coaches other employees on the use of various tools, concepts and practices foundational to QMS in order for Quest Diagnostics employees to build self-sufficiency, sustainability and scalability
- Leads his/her own projects and working teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, monitor, and close projects
- Leads projects through issues, roadblocks, and problems
- Acts as a change agent to drive teams toward success
- Guides team members to perform through issues and constraints
- Owns projects
- Owns the timeline, budget, resource constraints, and deliverables / results
- Shifts between the "big picture" and the small-but-crucial details
- Is prepared to roll up their sleeves and work through detailed issues
- Manages projects
- Ensures all appropriate tools are completed and used effectively (e.g., charter, Gantt chart, status updates)
- Actively communicates with project sponsors and stakeholders
- Establishes regular points of communication
- Manages sponsor and stakeholders’ expectations
- Delivers the expected results
- Performs root cause analysis on project shortfalls and takes corrective action as necessary
- Applies continuous improvement tools and techniques, as well as other QMS principles and tools, toward a variety of large or complex problems. Actively identifies root causes of issues and designs solutions that address them
- Leads efforts to implement Process Control and Management (process definition, documentation, ownership, metrics, and monitoring systems)
- Facilitates workshops and targeted improvement events to help teams quickly achieve strategic objectives
- Works with local team members to identify and prioritize continuous improvement opportunities
- Works with functional and site leaders as a “thought leader” to create future state improvement roadmaps with clear executable plans that are in line with the business strategies improvement needs
- Works with local team members to instill effective daily work management behaviors, such as daily metric review
- Contributes toward building a grass-roots culture of continuous improvement
- Demonstrated experience leading large and complex projects from initiation to completion (10+ years)
- Demonstrated experience using structured problem-solving skills: uses a systematic, disciplined and data-driven approach that identifies the root causes of various issues and designs solutions to resolve them
- Demonstrated understanding of continuous improvement, process management, or system thinking
- Demonstrated experience in core continuous improvement tools and advanced tools
- Proven track record in facilitating discussions or workshops
- Experience supervising others
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with others
- Demonstrated experience leading changes
- Demonstrated ability to influence business leaders
- Advanced data analysis skills
- Skilled in statistical analysis
- Demonstrated experience with process management
- Basic knowledge of VOC tools & some DFSS tools
- General knowledge of Hoshin and breakthrough planning
- Effective written and verbal communication skills across multiple formats: formal presentations, meetings, conference calls, e-mails, and memos
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Advanced in Microsoft Excel
- Skilled in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Comfortable with Microsoft Project
- Participation in Communities of Practice
- Leading of QMS training classes
- Documentation of business processes
- Completion of required continued learning
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Formal training in project management or continuous improvement methodologies (e.g., Six Sigma, Total Quality Management, Lean, Theory of Constraints) desired
- Provided Training and Certifications (to be completed within 6 months of assuming the role)
- QMS Core Practitioner Training (internally provided)
- Customer Insights training
- Process Management training
- Continuous Improvement
- Project Management training
- Change Management training
- Other (e.g., Influencing without Authority, Vertical and Horizontal Logic, Writing Business Cases)
- QMS Project Management Certification (internally administered)
- QMS Continuous Improvement Certification (internally administered
- Problem solving skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Decision making skills
- Planning and organization skills
- Negotiation skills
- Able to learn new concepts rapidly
- Able to work independently with little supervision
- 0-25% travel expected (expectations shown are targeted ranges; actual travel required will vary by project and can exceed or go below targeted amounts)
- Some evening work hours may be required, depending on project needs
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting questdiagnostics.com/careers, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates to be interviewed.