The primary role of this position isto conduct a quality assurance audit which requires the witnessing and supervisionof laboratory tests performed on steel samples at the supplier’s rolling mill. SGS will dispatch the Auditor to the rollingmill as required by the client. When notauditing, this role will support the needs of the various departments of theMelrose Park Metallurgical Testing Laboratory. JOB FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enableindividuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Supervise the preparation and testing methods used by the supplier’sQC laboratory.
- Witness the testing of the selected samples as specified by theclient.
- Review all test data generated for compliance against specifiedindustry specifications and/or client requirements.
- Ensure that all equipment and devices used duringtesting is preforming correctly and is calibrated.
- Compile and submit an auditor report to the client.
- Requires 50% to 75% of travel and overnight stays. Audits will be conducted over a series ofconsecutive days onsite, typically 4 to 5 days, including travel.
- Support the operational needs (technician level) of the variousdepartments of the Melrose Park Metallurgical Testing Laboratory when notonsite auditing.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Required:
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 2 years of related experienceand/or training or equivalent of education and experience; or college oruniversity program certificate in any of the following areas;
- Mechanical testing of metals; tensile,hardness and impact testing.
- Metallographic and macro preparation ofmetals.
- Microstructuraland macro etch evaluations of carbon steel and/or steel alloys.
Valid driver’s license, due to travel requirements. TRAVEL
- Requires 50% to 75% of travel and overnight stays. Domestic travel only for audits. Audits will be conducted over a series ofconsecutive days onsite, typically 4 to 5 days, including travel. Per the client request, international travelmaybe required for training.
- Onsite audits operate in an industrial manufacturing environment;steel mill and does not require the operation of any laboratory testingequipment at the supplier’s rolling mill. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers andphones.
- When working in the Melrose Park Metallurgical Testing Laboratory,duties and tasks may involve the use of the following equipment and machines;bandsaw, lathes, mills, surface grinder, tensile tester, hardness tester,charpy impact tester, combustion analyzer, OES/ICP systems, metallographicpolishers, microscopes and salt-spray/humidity chambers.