Objective: Inspects and tests materials and products for form, fit, and functions at various stages of production, including incoming, in-process, and final. Compiles and evaluates data to determine and maintain quality and reliability of products. Responsible for analysis and disposition of non-conforming materials, including determination of root cause and generation of corrective action plans. Collects, compiles and reports data on the Cost of Quality. Acts as the Chairperson or his or her delegate for the Material Review Board and Warranty Review Board. This position is active in vendor source approval and completion of an efficient program for vendor Quality Assurance through vendor contacts and audits where applicable. Responsible for improvement of inspection and quality control procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs receiving inspection of incoming material using various measuring devices such as comparators, calipers, micrometers, meters, etc.
- Verifies documentation such as picking lists, vendor supplied test data, purchase orders, etc.
- Interprets and utilizes inspection procedures, blueprints, schematics, assembly drawings, work orders, specifications, and process documentation to perform quality tasks.
- Confers with management, engineering, and production to determine quality and reliability standards.
- Selects appropriate inspection sample and performs appropriate inspections based on established inspection procedures or creates new procedures if necessary.
- Prepares charts, graphs, reports, and other documentation using various software applications to assist providing a visual and written display of past and current inspection & other quality related trends.
- Works closely with production departments to assure manufactured products maintain conformance.
- Practices good housekeeping and safety procedures and adheres to all company policies.
- Responsible for the review and recommendation of quality control tooling and instrumentation for efficient, accurate, effective control of quality throughout all phases of product development and manufacturing.
- Supports the implementation and execution of programs such as Cost of Quality, Vendor Rating system, Non-Conformance Management, The DMR (Defective Material Reports), customer complaint reports and RMA (Return Material Authorization) reporting.
- Responsible for Training of QA/QC personnel as well as operators on inspection and other quality related activities.
- Serves as delegate chair of the Material Review Board and Warranty Review Board.
- Responsible for determining root cause and Generating Corrective Action Plans for internal and external non-conformances.
- Maintains all QA documentation as needed, including: QA procedures, Inspection procedures, Use of specific QA and QC forms and documents & ability to work in an ERP system as well as excel and access databases.
- Provides quality assurance support as required to other departments.
- Performs vendor audits where applicable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to verify parts meet specifications via visual inspection including ability to confirm color codes.
- Knowledge and application of measuring tools such as micrometers, calipers, CMM’s, depth mic’s, etc.
- PC software knowledge (Microsoft Office Suite). Candidate must be high conversant with excel, access and be familiar with working within ERP /MRP systems.
- Able to analyze problems and provide solutions using tools such as 5why, 8D, A3 etc.
- Ability to work closely with production personnel to provide guidance and possibly training to enhance quality.
- Ability to interpret drawings, ECN’s, sketches, schematics, etc.
- Wide variety of duties involving working knowledge of Company policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently towards resolution of problems and completion of programs, adopting standard procedures to meet new conditions and making decisions based on established standards and Company policy.
Education and/or Experience:
5+ years QA experience
Or 3 years + Associates degree in related field
Or 1 year + Bachelor’s degree in related field
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no direct supervision responsibilities; however, may be assigned tasks related to training or guiding others. Ability to deal with and influence individuals in varying positions without creating a negative image on the quality department or the company.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, drawings, blueprints, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively with co-workers, supervision, and other employees within the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform calculations relating to Algebra, Geometry, and some Trigonometry. Should be very proficient and converting fractions to decimals and vice versa.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems. Needs to interpret written and verbal instructions including the use of diagrams or schedules.
Physical Demands: The physical demands include ability to frequently lift 10 lbs and occasionally be able to lift up to 50 lbs, standing for long periods of time, able to lean and have dexterity to handle tools and parts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Position also requires occasionally sitting, stooping, kneeling. Need ability to hear and be aware of surrounding area. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification
Written Communication – Able to read and interpret written information
Teamwork – Contributes to building a positive team spirit
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
Diversity – Promotes a harassment-free work environment
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures
Planning and Organizing – Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly
Attendance Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
NOTE: This job description in no way implies that the duties listed here are the only ones the employee can be required to perform. The employee is expected to perform other tasks as dictated by their manager or supervisor.