Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Research & Development (R&D) Manager manages the design, development and implementation of research and development initiatives to support business objectives. Responsible for maintaining effective cross-functional relationships to ensure successful planning and execution of initiatives, while utilizing existing and/or emerging technologies. Builds consumer-valued points of competitive differentiation that drive tactical and strategic business growth.Core Responsibilities
- Ensures that all new or changed product requests from Sales are processed in a timely manner per Sales Management prioritizing.
- Coordinates with Labeling, QA and Food Safety Departments to ensure the accuracy of information.
- Arranges timely project updates with Sales and Operations.
- Shares technical expertise with Lab personnel and customers, as needed.
- Works with Production to improve processes to achieve better yields and/or labor costs.
- Ensures that files are maintained with all appropriate information including labels, specifications and SQF requirements.
- Collaborates with Purchasing to approve new ingredients and supplies.
- Proactively works to prevent process or product failures and continuously improve product quality by working with Operations to develop plans, process controls and training to ensure least cost, highest quality production.
- Reviews projects related to customer requests for new products and internal requests for process and product improvements.
- Communicates with members of Operations, Sales, Marketing and Quality Assurance on a regular basis to report progress on projects and receive feedback from the various departments to develop products that meet the customer’s expectations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Food Science or related field and 5+ years’ relevant plant manufacturing experience in the meat processing industry, required.
- Master's Degree, preferred.
- Minimum 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Experience with multifaceted management of multiple projects and areas of reasonability.
- Able to work independently to ensure completion of R&D strategic goals.
- Must be able to identify consumer insights ad translate them into finished products.
- Proven track record with working effectively as a business leader and cross functional teams.
- Able to multi-task, think creatively, and work as part of a team.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Responsible for managing junior team members or technicians.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.