Facility: TALBOT HALL
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This position evaluates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining both safety and security of the patient.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions within scope of Registered Nurse licensure at all times.
- Utilizes therapeutic communication skills and effective interviewing techniques to elicit pertinent information.
- Performs thorough, systematic and accurate physical assessments.
- Implements professional nursing services in a thorough and competent manner in accordance with stands, rules, and protocols policies and procedures.
- Administers medication in a safe and efficient manner consistent with prescribed orders, rules, protocols, policies and procedures as necessary.
- Responds to medical emergencies with emergency equipment in immediate manner per policies and procedures.
- Initiates appropriate treatment and/or medications in emergency situations based on assessment and in accordance with standards, protocols, policies and procedures.
- Utilizes problem oriented medical record system (SOAP format) to document all patient contacts.
- Responsible for implementation of physician’s orders.
- Performs a complete health history and physical assessment as required. Perform a complete physical assessment and medical history as required on each inmate entering the correctional system. Any medical problems are referred to the physician for evaluation.
- Formulates nursing care plan on all inmate/patients.
- Reports significant alterations in patient’s status/symptoms/body systems to Clinical Associate/Physician/Charge Nurse immediately.
- Evaluates the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of care rendered, medications and treatments.
- Reports significant incidents/unusual occurrences and/or post-exposure events to Director of Nursing/Health Services Administrator/Medical Director immediately.
- Maintains all logs and keys per policies and procedures.
- Performs sick calls and conducts infirmary rounds.
- Maintains accurate counts of narcotics and sharps instruments each shift; when required.
- Checks emergency equipment and document each shift.
- Communicates significant information to the on-coming nurses.
- Participates actively in the orientation process of new nursing staff.
- Attends monthly meetings.
- Completes a minimum of twelve (12) hours of continuing education, annually.
- Attends and completes forty (forty) hours facility annual “On the Job’ training.
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Performs other duties as assigned.