Under the supervision of lead agent and/or supervisor on duty ramp agents are responsible for marshaling aircraft in and out of the gate, loading, unloading and sorting freight, mail and baggage in a safe manner while also achieving on-time departures and arrivals. Ramp Agents may also be responsible for servicing aircraft lavatories, cleaning aircraft, restocking items, deicing and other duties as delegated.
• Marshals aircraft on the ramp including directing, assisting and parking all arriving, departing and towed aircrafts in accordance with safety policy and procedures.
• Performs wing walker duties to protect the aircraft wing from equipment in the path of pushback and maintains visual contact with the pushback driver to alert the driver of any danger.
• Lifts, loads/unloads, sorts and transfers passenger baggage, airmail, freight and company material in and out of aircraft bins, belt loader or baggage carts in a safe manner and within specific time constraints.
• Maintains safety and security of the ramp at all times and complies with safety procedures and station policies.
• Drives/operates ramp equipment including but not limited to bag tugs, belt loaders, aircraft tow tractors and water and lavatory servicing vehicles in a safe manner.
• Reads and verifies the city and flight number for every bag to ensure correct loading of customer bags.
• Communicates with Operations, Flight Crew personnel and other ground personnel concerning arrival/departure information in a professional manner.
• Arrives to work on time and at assigned post to ensure prompt servicing of the aircraft and on time departures.
• May work in the baggage make-up area and prioritize baggage load for delivery to the proper aircraft for loading.
• Depending on the station location employee may be assigned cabin service functions which include servicing the aircraft as needed to include cleaning lavatories and cabin and restocking supplies and other items.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of DGS, Safety, Security, Ramp, FAA, Airport, OSHA,USPS, Flight Schedules and Station policies and procedures. MENTAL ABILITIES: Must be able to follow directions, read and interpret documents.
• Safety - Ability to follow established safety policy and procedures and identifies and corrects conditions that affect safety in the workplace and must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as reflective vest, gloves, safety glasses, steel-toed boots, and ear plugs.
• Attendance and Reliability –Ability to maintain regular attendance and report to work on time and at assigned post at the start of the shift.
Competency Statement(s) continued Page 2
• Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly to ensure that all items loaded or unloaded are on the correct flight.
• Diversity - Ability to work in a friendly, respectful and professional manner with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability etc..
• Honesty/Integrity/Ethical Standards – Ability to maintain high morale standards and be honest and ethical while performing job duties and handling customer belongings.
• Communication - Ability to communicate in a professional manner with others orally or written and actively attend to, convey and understand the comments and questions of others.
• Customer Service Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs and personal belongings while following company procedures.
• Organizational/Time Management-Ability to work in an organized fashion and under tight time constraints to service and accomplish quick turns of aircraft.
• Teamwork – Ability to work with others as a team to perform and complete job duties.
• Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace such as working different flight schedules, locations, assignments, shifts or working at various paces.
EDUCATION: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) is preferred.
Must be 18 years of age; eligible to work in US; able to pass pre-employment drug screen, FBI criminal and USPS background check; and complete ramp and SIDA training to obtain airport authority identification security badge. LICENSE(S): Must possess a valid Driver’s License for operating ground support equipment.
Lift/carry up to 70 lbs
Reach Above Shoulder
Lift/carry greater than 70 lbs
Push/Pull up to 70 lbs
Stoop, Squat, Kneel, Bend
Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5 hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5 hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance, Peripheral, Depth Perception)-Must be able to observe, judge distances, identify surroundings, hazards, aircrafts and equipment.
Sense of Sound/Hearing – Must be able to communicate by radio and other devices.
While performing the duties of this job the employee works in confined spaces and under tight time constraints to service or turn the aircraft and is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions including rain, snow, sun and extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts such as propellers and jet fans and works in and around moving aircrafts and vehicles and is exposed to fumes or airborne particles. Employee may spend some of work time in baggage sorting room. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The pace of the work varies and is often fast paced in order to load, unload and dispatch the aircraft to prevent flight delays. The pace of work depends on the flight schedule, flight delays, weather conditions and passenger volume.
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Particular functions, tasks and requirements may vary or be added depending upon the location and operational requirements. This document does not represent a contract of employment and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.