Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Refinance Partner Underwriter at our San Antonio, Texas location. The primary purpose of this job is to review and underwrite consumer loans within delegated underwriting authority in accordance with Federal regulation and PenFed Board of Director policies, procedures, and standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Complete a thorough analysis of the loan application file to determine member’s creditworthiness for the desired product.
- Review and evaluate loan applications and approves, pends, or declines requests to extend credit.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the analysis and judgmental decision process for Refinance Auto Loans.
- Maintain knowledge of the Refinance program guidelines and rate sheet.
- Review documents, such as paystubs and tax returns, etc. for legitimacy and to clear stipulations on loan applications prior to funding.
- Review and complete a thorough analysis of the loan file to determine member credit worthiness and collateral value (when applicable). Request required file documentation.
- Work with members, internal PenFed staff, and external partners to provide rationale and explanations for consumer lending decisions.
- Interpret policies and guidelines for loan processor and other PenFed employees requiring guidance. Follow up with processors when documentation is inaccurate due to processing errors or execution failures.
- Collaborate with the High-Risk Underwriting team to investigate and mitigate fraud concerns.
- Analyze and review documentation related to consumer loan applications with an emphasis on accuracy, legitimacy, and completeness of required documentation.
- Take part in peer mentoring and coaching activities designed to maximize staff performance.
- Maintain professional relationship with the Refinance Partners and our Processing partners and keep partners apprised of any changes to lending guidelines.
- Assist IT department with user acceptance and other systems testing as needed.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position.
- Review policies, procedures, and guidelines and make recommendations for improvement.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) year of Underwriting is preferred.
- Experience coaching, leading, and developing subordinates highly preferred.
Licenses and Certifications
- Must successfully complete Pentagon Federal Loan Officer Training Program.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.