We are seeking a Hazardous Materials (“HazMat”) Compliance Specialist to join American Tower’s Compliance team within the U.S. Tower division’s Legal organization. This team ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to hazardous materials. Day to day you prepare and process compliance filings for the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (“SARA”) for Hazardous Material Business Plans. As a HazMat Compliance Specialist, you will partner cross-functionally to resolve documentation discrepancies and complete and update compliance filings.
Our Core Principles are the foundation of our culture, and we’re focused on achieving continued success by thinking long-term, leading with values, and creating value with decisions. Come grow your career with us!
What You Can Offer Us
What You Need to Succeed
- Maintain an up to date understanding of regulatory changes and requirements at the federal, state, and local level, as well as about industry best practices, and incorporate those into internal policies and procedures. Support regulatory advocacy efforts and train coworkers on HazMat compliance processes.
- Ensure accurate HazMat inventory in the department’s site audit system. Maintain records of compliance documents, conduct routine follow ups with regulatory agencies, and assist with coordinating inspections.
- Evaluate the compliance status of acquired assets and work with regulatory agencies to determine the appropriate method for compliance curatives.
- Prepare SARA Title III Tier II Hazardous Chemical Inventory reports and site-specific hazardous materials plans for submittal to regulatory agencies, including preparing new and updating existing agency filings. Prepare and submit applications for air emissions permits, fuel storage, and other HazMat issues; ensure compliance with permits and related plans, including spill prevention, control and counter measure plans, and Operations and Maintenance Plans.
- Work with the Network Operations Center and Field Operations employees, as well as contractors, to coordinate and monitor HazMat compliance responses during contamination incidents, performing non-routine and technical HazMat compliance tasks with minimal supervision.
- Oversee HazMat projects related to asbestos and lead surveys or abatements, ensuring proper management of hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste. Assist with managing and overseeing consultants and contractors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences preferred.
- Between 2–4 years of experience hazardous materials management experience in lieu of degree, including experience with requirements from local, state, and federal agencies such as the federal Environmental Protection Agency, state environmental protection agencies, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and National Fire Protection Association.
- Ability to understand and apply government regulations related to hazardous materials and wastes.
- Working knowledge of hazardous material, including hazardous wastes, asbestos, and other materials.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present ideas and suggestions clearly and effectively.
- Ability to work with different functional groups and levels of employees to effectively and professionally achieve results.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to accomplish multiple tasks within the agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of duties and functions in a fast-paced environment.
American Tower is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.