PenFed is one of the nation’s fastest-growing mortgage teams. We’ve created four new regional sites that are work-from-home opportunities for mortgage professionals. Our team members can be located within a 100-mile radius of each of the following cities: Phoenix, Dallas, Charlotte, and Jacksonville. At PenFed, we believe everyone who dreams big and works hard deserves great rates and rewards. If you agree, you belong here.
PenFed is hiring a Remote Government Mortgage Underwriter at the following locations: Phoenix, Arizona, Jacksonville, Florida, and San Antonio, Texas. The primary purpose of this job is to underwrite conventional, FHA, VA, and correspondent loans in accordance with investor guidelines including the secondary market. This role will require active use of either or both an FHA DE designation and VA/LAPP – SAR designation.
*This position is remote, and can be located anywhere in the United States.'
** We are pleased to offer a $7,500 SIGNING BONUS for all new Mortgage Government Underwriters whose start date with PenFed is on or before August 31st, 2021 **
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Review complex tax returns and income calulations to insure compliance with guidelines.
- Review loans and mentor new hires prior to recommending them for underwriting authority.
- Review and complete a thorough analysis of the loan file to determine member credit worthiness and collateral value. Request required legal and file documentation.
- Evaluate the geographic area, the type, ownership and occupancy of the residence and assures that proper adjustments to loan terms, rate or amount, if any, are made before accepting collateral.
- Underwrite to current Appendix Q/FNMA/PenFed guidelines. Assist with maintaining PenFed’s compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances by abiding by PenFed compliance program and all policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Evaluate the entire credit package and collateral for residential mortgage loans and ultimately ensures an investment quality loan product and creditworthiness of the borrowers and acceptability of the collateral.
- Determine that valid liens in the proper recording position can be obtained by analyzing title examination and public record reports. Ensure that corrective action is taken when factors that weaken PenFed’s collateral position are identified.
- Maintain a working knowledge of secondary market underwriting guidelines and private investor and private mortgage insurance guidelines.
- Follow up with processors when documentation is not accurate due to processor errors and/or actions. Provide feedback to managers on processors’ performance.
- Respond to post closing review and audits in a timely fashion.
- Actively look for exceptions within delegated authority, present findings and recommendations to management.
- Respond to audits and performs quality control review on mortgage files.
*This role is responsible for ensuring business continuity. *
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or combination of education and experience that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to satisfactorily perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ of experience in lending is required.
- Lending experience in a Real Estate field is preferred.
Licenses and Certifications
- VA LAPP/SAR
- DE (preferred, not required)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.