Research and Development Scientist
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As a Scientist, you will utilize state-of-the art hardware and software to conduct experimental research and drive product innovations to advance our growing line of world-leading analyzers.
Reporting to the R&D PMO Manager, you will demonstrate a deep knowledge of the scientific principles of optical spectroscopy and analyzer development, take ownership of tasks, and have a proven track record of creating and implementing innovative approaches to complex problems.
- Develop novel solutions to improve the performance and expand the application space of ABB instruments.
- Utilize hardware, software, and data analysis skills to develop, fabricate, and test new analyzers based on cavity enhanced, tunable diode laser absorption spectrometry and other laser diagnostic techniques.
- Design and perform experiments needed to qualify applications of new and current products.
- Work with academic, national laboratory, industrial, and other research collaborators to apply laser-based analyzers to a wide array of environmental, industrial, medical, and military applications.
- Document analyzer configurations, test protocols, and results to drive the release of new products to production.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Ph.D. in applied physics, physical chemistry, optics, or a related, experimental field – Master’s. may be considered with extensive experience and proven track record.
- Familiarity with optical spectroscopy (e.g., absorption, FTIR, photoacoustic, Raman, fluorescence, LIBS, etc.).
- Hands-on experience in using lasers (UV, NIR, MIR) in a laboratory setting.
- Proven problem-solving skills to identify and troubleshoot unforeseen problems in a systematic, scientific method without direct instruction.
- Excellent understanding of statistical methods and experimental data analysis.
- Ability to develop, implement and launch initiatives related to product changes, new products and new applications.
- Familiarity with scientific data analysis tools such as: MATLAB, IGOR Pro, Origin, LabVIEW, Python, etc.
- Gas phase trace gas analysis experience.
- Familiar with cavity enhanced absorption spectroscopy techniques such as integrated cavity output spectroscopy (ICOS) or cavity ringdown spectroscopy (CRDS).
- Extensive experience in experimental laboratory work using lasers, detectors, analog/digital signal processing, and data acquisitions (DAQ).
- Analysis of experimental data using multivariate analysis and nonlinear minimization.
- Experience using ZEMAX or other optical simulation software.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB's Measurement & Analytics division is among the world's leading manufacturers and suppliers of smart instrumentation and analyzers. With thousands of experts around the world and high-performance digital technology, ABB's team is dedicated to making measurement easy for its industrial and energy customers to let them operate more efficiently and profitably.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.