As a member of the Department for Safety and Environmental Management (SAFE), you will support the engineering & design review aspects of the Safety and Security Certification program within WMATA. This subject matter expert will be responsible for in-depth engineering design reviews and engineering modification reviews. Ideal candidates should have subject matter expertise in the areas of engineering, design review, hazard mitigation within design, and transit safety. Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as critical thinking skills, are considered essential.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Safety, Safety Engineering or related field
• Minimum six (6) years of progressive experience in maintenance, facilities, and rail systems or vehicle projects/engineering design for major transportation and/or Safety and Security Certification program implementation
• Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license
• Required to attend and successfully pass RWP training within 30 days of hire and to maintain RWP Qualification as a condition to perform core job duties.
• Master's degree in Transportation, Safety Management, Engineering, or a related field
• Certified Safety Specialist or Certified Safety & Security Director designation from the World Safety Organization
• Transit Safety and Security Program (TSSP) Certificate designation from the Transportation Safety Institute
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP) of Certified Associate Safety Professional (ASP)
Professional Engineer (PE)
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Safety Engineering Review Officer provides subject matter expertise to the Safety Certification & Engineering Manager by conducting safety engineering reviews of engineering designs and modifications prior to incorporation into the WMATA System and reviews Engineering Modification Instructions (EMI), Engineering Change Notices (ECN), policies and procedures, design specifications related to rail car equipment, track, structures, systems maintenance, facilities, elevator/escalator and related systems and equipment for safety compliance. The incumbent identifies and mitigates safety hazards during the design phase in support of CFR 49 Part 673, Public Transportation Agency Safety Plans.
• Conducts engineering design reviews for railcar equipment, track, structures, system maintenance, facilities, elevator/escalator and related system equipment to mitigate identified safety hazards in designs to an acceptable level.
• Reviews and provides safety engineering expertise on technical engineering documents including Engineering Modification instructions (EMIs), policies and procedures, design specifications and change orders related to rail car equipment, track, structures, systems maintenance, facilities, elevator/escalator and related systems and equipment to ensure compliance with federal, state and WMATA safety requirements.
• Communicates and interfaces with various departments within WMATA, such as but not limited to, Operations, Engineering, and other relevant departments on issues identified through reviewed documents, analysis, relevant literature, and best practices in order to address issues and/or share information relative to Safety.
• Provides safety technical assistance and guidance to Safety staff, facilities, systems and vehicle engineering disciplines, Project Managers, and others to efficiently mitigate hazards identified through the engineering process.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.