Are you a driven, proactive safety professional that excels in dynamic environments, assessing procedural processes, and partnering with key stakeholders to positively impact business opportunities? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As a Safety Team member, you would conduct safety training, oversee educational programs, advise leadership, and investigate incidents. Continuously monitor operations looking for areas to minimize risks and create solutions to correct issues as they arise. You will be tasked to promote compliance to ensure that all Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our product brands are produced responsibly
Supports the site in the design, management, and implementation of our comprehensive Health and Safety programs and provides direction to all levels within the plant regarding appropriate Health and Safety practices. Plans, implements, evaluates and communicates safety initiatives that meet and exceed regulatory requirements.Core Responsibilities
- Creates, supports and implements strategies to establish and improve safety compliance.
- Supports site safety management systems.
- Educates employees in proper safety procedures, safe work practices and policies.
- Develops, evaluates and recommends process and equipment changes and improvements to maximize safety and improve environmental impacts of operations.
- Leads proactive effort in air monitoring to ensure compliance with standard practices.
- Ensures adherence to internal auditing schedules.
- Conducts root cause analyses and preventive/corrective action follow-up.
- Conducts job hazard analysis for ergonomic improvements and soft tissue injury prevention.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Safety Management or a related field and 2+ years relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Experience working with or knowledge of OSHA; food industry experience a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to anticipate needs, forecast conditions, set goals/standards and measure results.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits