Science Director, Flow Cytometry – Chantilly, VA
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2020 revenues of $9.44 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
• Forbes® Global 2000
• Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes® 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron’s 500
• Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
This incumbent assumes the professional, scientific, consultative, organizational, administrative, and educational responsibilities for the services provided. The Scientific Director provides technical, regulatory and operational oversight to a component department or division of the laboratory. In conjunction with the Operations Director, QA Director, Managers and the Technical Supervisors of the component department(s), the Scientific Director develops a cohesive team to manage the activities of the department(s) and division. The principle duties of the position are to provide technical and regulatory oversight for all areas of Flow Cytometry. Decisions would affect the financial, employee, or public relations posture of the company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lab Licensure – Hold an ABB High Complexity Lab Director Certification
2. Assures the continued competency of laboratory personnel by establishing and reviewing a program for training and competency of all personnel including clerical, technical, supervisory, and certifying scientists.
3. Quality Management
a. Establishes a Quality Control program to maintain acceptable analytical performance for all controls and standards and to assure proper performance and reporting of all tests results. This program should also assure and document the validity, reliability, accuracy, precision, and performance characteristics of each test and test system.
b. Participate in the development and execution of Quality Assurance and Improvement Plans. Evaluate performance with staff and re-define using the external/internal systems/tools available.
a. Establishes the Standard Operating Procedure Manual, which is complete, up-to-date, and available for personnel in the laboratory and followed by those personnel.
5. Method Validation
a. Ensures that the performance specifications for new tests, instruments, and methods introduced to the laboratory have been properly validated or verified prior to being used for testing.
b. Provide supervision and guidance for annual reverification of methods
6. Guide and review root cause analysis of non-conformities in laboratory processes ensuring appropriate remedial actions necessary to maintain satisfactory operation and performance of the laboratory, including but not limited to:
a. Quality control systems not being within performance specifications;
b. Non-conformities in result reporting;
c. Non-conformities in proficiency testing results.
7. Ensures that specimen results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and he or she can assure that the test results provided are accurate and reliable.
8. Reviews and establishes the instrument maintenance program for all instrumentation.
9. Reviews and implements lab safety procedures to maintain compliance with good laboratory practice, Corporate policies and applicable regulations.
10. Develops long-range organizational objectives, operational business plans, and policies based on detailed knowledge of company and without appreciable direction. Work is reviewed on the basis of long-term impact on the business.
11. Provide consultation about Flow Cytometry Test significance, interpretation, and correlation of data to direct and indirect customers.
a. Remain current with relevant scientific literature
b. Be an industry resource for discussion with internal/external customers
c. Educate/train the technical staff so they are equipped to discuss with customers
12. Demonstrates competency to provide testimony on laboratory test results in administrative and legal hearings.
13. Demonstrates exceptional scientific creativity and vision. Develop information which extends knowledge in the industry.
14. Develop, lead and support industry educational programs for the industry and laboratory staff. Participate in programs within the industry (e.g., The International Clinical Cytometry Society)
15. Interacts with Scientific Director peers, Quality and Operations Directors in development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science.
• High Complexity Lab Director - American Board of Bioanalysis (HCLD - ABB)
• NY Certificate of Qualification preferred
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in Flow Cytometry related laboratory work
• Documented experience/training with the Flow Cytometry applications
• Demonstrated effective leadership experience.
• Demonstrated flexibility and initiative to effectively lead change efforts to respond to marketplace or organizational changes.
• Demonstrated fiscal management capabilities including effective expense reduction, utilization, management, and budget control.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current technical, quality control, and quality assurance procedures and laboratory information systems.
• Experience in teaching, as well as involvement in professional activities.
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.