Look for more than answers:
As an NGS Scientist at Quest Diagnostics, you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career that will provide you the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
At Quest, our R&D Professionals play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are research and development driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
This scientific professional will work on-site from our San Juan Capistrano, CA facility.
NGS Scientist, the role:
The NGS Scientist plans, prepares, conducts and records complex bench level molecular genetics experiments. This professional prepares reports and analysis of results as related to product/process development improvement. Activities may be focused individual projects or assignments as a member of a project team which may include project leadership duties.
• Develops, plans, conducts and records results from complex experiments within a specific product or technology area.
• Performs laboratory experiments following defined protocols and company procedures.
• Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize experiment results.
• Works within established parameters on individual assignments, on project teams for longer-term projects and as a technical leader to Assistant Scientists or Associate Scientists.
• Identifies problems, investigates alternatives and recommends possible courses of action.
• Maintains knowledge of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature.
• Effectively utilizes and applies advanced methods or technologies.
• Contributes ideas for new product development typically within existing markets.
• Responsibilities include working with infectious materials, supporting and complying with the company hazard waste handling practices.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Experience with assay development involving PCR, DNA sequencing, Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), microarrays, and/or third generation sequencing.
• Requires knowledge and skills normally acquired through the successful completion of an advanced degree (M.A./Ph.D) in Genetics, Molecular Biology or related scientific discipline.
• Requires at least 6 years of extensive industrial experience and significant demonstration of capabilities for a candidate with a Bachelor's degree, at least 4 years of relevant industrial experience with a Master's degree, or a Ph.D. with thesis.
• Experience in developing products under design control or cGMP/QSR is a plus.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write complete reports and correspondence.
• Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations.
• Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem-solving situations.
• Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance and correlation techniques.
• Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
• Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in a variety of situations.
• Requires a thorough knowledge of related products and technologies gained through developmental experience in an academic or industrial setting.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.