Scientist Clinical Lab II -WD- Bakersfield, California - MON-FRI Part Time
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As a Medical Technologist/Clinical Lab Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, Medical Technologist/Clinical Lab Scientist play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are tech driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
Reports to Operations Supervisor, Laboratory Supervisor or Laboratory Manager. Under minimal supervision incumbent(s) will consistently and accurately perform either a greater number or more varied amount of complex or difficult tasks and assignments than the work performed by a Clinical Laboratory Scientist I. This is considered a senior position and is the highest level in a two level job family.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist II will perform all or part of the following duties:
1. Consistently and independently performs the most complex level of clinical tests. Performs newly introduced tests to the laboratory that require defined skills.
2. Oversees the preparation of reagents or media as well as stock solutions, standards and controls. Tests new reagents or controls and evaluates their usefulness based on standard criteria.
3. Performs test calibrations and runs Quality Control material at appropriate intervals.
4. Determines the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established criteria in testing procedures.
5. Determines calculated results utilizing testing data by means of manual or computerized procedures.
6. Accurately enters results of testing. Checks the computer review reports to monitor accurate reporting of results.
7. Evaluates the acceptability of routine and complex analysis prior to releasing patient reports. Recognizes and takes appropriate action in response to critical values or unusual or unexpected results, and documents action taken.
8. Responsible for scheduled preventative maintenance troubleshooting and calibration of laboratory equipment.
9. Evaluates the results of instrument performance checks. Performs linearity, accuracy and precision checks as required.
10. Performs Q/C and calibrations with the appropriate frequency and evaluates results, to decide whether tests should be reported.
11. Selects and evaluates control materials and data using established criteria. Initiates a corrective action process whenever test systems do not perform according to the established criteria.
12. Accurately performs and records proficiency testing.
13. Demonstrates the ability to detect and correct technical and operational problems. Notifies the supervisor, and contacts manufacturer or field service support for additional assistance, if necessary.
14. Ensures accurate tracking and labeling of reagents and supplies.
15. Promptly and courteously answers the phone and assists clients and other departments with their inquiries.
16. Consistently sets an example for other employees by maintaining a safe and neat work area.
17. Demonstrates effective communications and good working relationships with departmental peers as well as employees within other departments.
18. Trains less senior staff in proper performance of both routine and complex procedures.
19. Assists the supervisor to up-date and maintain the computer database for their area of testing responsibility and/or the department.
20. Assists the Supervisor or Manager with scheduling effective weekly work loads.
21. Assists department supervisor or manager by providing technical direction to staff members. May provide feedback to supervisor on individual and/or team learning progress.
22. Actively participates in staff meetings, and in Quality improvement meetings as assigned.
23. Takes on additional business related responsibilities or projects, as delegated by the Supervisor or Manager. This may include but not be limited to: evaluation of new techniques and procedures in terms of personnel and space requirements, method comparison, cost analysis, establishment of reference ranges, writing and revising technical procedures, and evaluation of productivity and key results measures.
24. Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education activities.
25. Sets an example for following established company and departmental policies and guidelines for attendance, and performance improvement. Responsible for following the guidelines for safety, environmental, and infection control.
26. Demonstrates a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
27. Provides direct and constant supervision of unlicensed staff as required.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist II will have demonstrated a consistently high level of proficiency and performance in laboratory sciences, in addition, incumbent must have:
1. A Bachelors of Science degree in medical technology or biological sciences from an accredited college or university.
2. A current California state Clinical Laboratory Scientist license to perform laboratory testing.
3. Demonstrated, by means of performance, advanced level of proficiency in all the above accountabilities plus at least 6 months of direct experience.
4. Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills such as EXCEL spread sheets, word processing, statistical analysis, and laboratory information system.
5. Demonstrated higher level of performance and accuracy in clinical testing, reporting and results than what is expected of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist I.
[All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.]