SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
As the Scientist I in the Physical Lab, you will be responsible for performing analysis using thermal, mechanical and microscopic methods and instruments.
- Perform assigned laboratory tasks including setting up and calibrating instruments, preparing samples, acquiring analytical data, processing data, and reporting results in a prescribed format.
- Create and maintain detailed lab record documentation (notebooks and computer based) according to GMPs.
- Maintain assigned laboratory instrumentation which may include routine maintenance, calibration and verification, and troubleshooting.
- Develop or optimize methods as required.
- Document laboratory methods in written work instructions and SOP’s; follow written procedures with keen attention to detail.
- Document sample appearances, preparation processes, and testing procedures with digital photography.
- Peer review expectations include demonstrating attention to detail, approving lab notebook pages, sequence checks, and verifying data entry and calculations.
- Perform assigned quality assurance responsibilities including, but not limited to: initiating and processing workflows for training, change control, planned deviations, and investigations; revising and authoring work instructions; providing technical support for investigations and approvals; and participating in internal and external quality audits.
- Train and mentor other scientists based on experience.
- Maintain assigned laboratory spaces in a neat and organized condition.
- Maintain inventories of parts and supplies needed for assigned work.
- Adhere to applicable corporate policies and procedures, quality procedures, and work instructions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Chemistry, or another related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Good interpersonal skills for working as part of a team
- Bachelor’s degree in Material Science Engineering
- 2-4 years of experience in a related field
- Machining/fabrication/construction using basic shop equipment
- Experience with digital photography
- Experience operating thermal and mechanical test equipment and microscopes
- Experience working in an ISO/IEC 17025 and/or cGMP environment
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.