SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The primary responsibility of this position will be the evaluation of seed samples for physical attributes and germinating seedlings in standard, vigor and herbicide bioassay tests.
Directly reports to the Evaluation Supervisor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Evaluate germinating seeds/seedlings per established procedures/rules on standard, vigor, tetrazolium, and herbicide bioassay tests on all submitted species.
• Prepare/visually examine seed samples for physical purity quality and impurities prior to planting.
• Perform assessment of seeds/seedlings according to AOSA, ISTA and Canadian Rules and Seed Purity and Seedling Evaluation references.
• Troubleshoot and monitor for irregularities in seed or seedling test results, media, temperatures, equipment and facilities.
• Expand knowledge and professionalism in seed technology by participating in in-house continuing education, enrolling in relevant coursework, attending workshops, participating in professional seed technology committees and associations.
• Ensure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
• Review and update standard operating procedures for purity and/or germination testing.
• Adhere to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Supervises others: No
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Associate degree in Agricultural or Biological Sciences or related field.
• Experience in physical purity analysis, germination, tetrazolium (TZ) purity, and agricultural experience.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
• At least one of the following: Registered Seed Technologist (RST) certification, Certified Viability Technologist (CVT) certification, Certified Purity Technologist (CPT) certification (AOSA/SCST is preferred (or must obtain after two years of employment).
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English
• Mathematical Skills: Basic
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Basic
• Computer Skills: Basic knowledge in MS Office
• Must have excellent communications skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective working
• Must be able to manage numbers mentally.
• Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Must be able to regularly lift 15-20 pounds.
• Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods.
• No travel required.
• This job operates in a professional seed laboratory environment. Equipment operated is standard to seed testing evaluation and analysis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Frequently
• Use hands - Constantly
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Climb or balance - None
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Occasionally
• Talk/hear - Frequently
• Taste/Smell - None
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull up to 30 pounds
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches/50 centimeters or less)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
• Ability to see color
• No special auditory requirements
WORK CONDITIONS / EXPOSURE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Location of the Job: Brookings, SD, USA
For Non-Exempt roles:
• Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Additional hours may be necessary occasionally based on work load.
Environmental Conditions Requirements:
• Wet or humid (non-weather) conditions - None
• Work near moving mechanical parts - Occasionally
• Work in high, precarious places - None
• Fumes or airborne particles - Occasionally
• Toxic or caustic chemicals - Occasionally
• Outdoor weather conditions - None
• Extreme cold (non-weather) - Occasionally
• Extreme heat (non-weather) - Occasionally
• Risk of electrical shock - None
• Work with explosives - None
• Risk of radiation - None
• Vibration - None
• Bio-hazard – Occasionally
• Moderate to loud noise (examples: light manufacturing work environment, movement of carts, totes, foot traffic)
Other Physical/Work Environmental Exposures:
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.