SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
As the Senior Chemist, you will evaluate the chemical and physical properties of various organic and inorganic substances for consumer product testing purposes. Independently conducts sample analysis, preparation, extraction, and digestion with and without the use of instrumentation following official methods and laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Provides technical support to junior members and may serve as a team lead.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops, reviews submit, and files reports on client sample tests, correlation tests, calibration, validation, and other projects.
- Performs routine operation, maintenance, calibration, qualification, and ability to troubleshoot laboratory equipment/instruments.
- Develops and validates analytical methods, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and other operating, safety, and quality documents.
- Serves as a primary trainer for Chemists and Junior Chemists and Data Analysis.
- Provides technical training, advice, and support to the junior members as required.
- May serve as a team lead.
- Inputs and maintains technical information as needed to support the laboratory functions/operations.
- Completes laboratory tasks and assignments within tight deadlines.
- Manages multiple projects as assigned.
- Maintains Laboratory Notebook.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in a Chemistry discipline BA, with extensive experience, may be considered.
- 4-7 years of years’ relevant experience in Analytical Chemistry Laboratories
- Language Skills: English - Intermediate level required
- Must be a subject matter expert in one of the 3 areas.
- Spectroscopy: Extensive experience in inorganic analyses including heavy metals. Hands-on experience with ICP/OES, ICP/MS, XRF as well as microwave digestion.
- Liquid Chromatography: Extensive experience with HPLC, UPLC, LC/MS/MS, IC. Experience with analysis of plastics, additives, and extractable a plus.
- Gas Chromatography: Extensive experience with GC, GC/MS Headspace, and thermal desorption analyses. Experience in the analysis of plasticizers, dyes and additives a plus.
supervisory experience a plus.
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required
- Understanding of the company Quality Management System ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 requirements in related tasks
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to execute detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
- Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe
- Strong attention to details required
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Strong time management skills and organization skills
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a callback. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.