Senior Demand Field Service Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Energy Industries drives growth for customers while supporting safe, efficient and profitable operations with strong global execution capacity, an extensive service footprint and capabilities, and innovative digital leadership.
Working with customers to ensure our products and systems provide maximum performance, our Service teams solve a wide variety of key industrial challenges. We increase productivity and reliability, lengthen product life span and improve safety. Critically, we also reduce costs, energy consumption and emissions.
The role reports to the IAEN Service Operations Director and is located in or near in or near Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Connecticut. As a Senior Demand Field Service Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the full lifecycle of ABB distributed control system (800xA and Symphony) at ABB customer facilities (such as refineries, water systems, power generation units) under general supervision. This includes performing preventive and corrective maintenance, testing and troubleshooting of proprietary ABB hardware and software, as well as assisting with any projects, upgrades, new installations, and advanced services for the technician’s assigned customer or region. This individual will be required to work independently or as part of a small site team to provide service for customers of ABB distributed control solutions.
- Maintain ABB’s suite of distributed control system (DCS) hardware and software. Handle customer questions about the state of the ABB system.
- Handle customer service-related issues while fostering the customer relationship and working to solve technical problems on-site. Deal directly with, and communicate effectively with plant operators, plant management, 3rd party vendors, and other ABB personnel in support of service operations.
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment applying own technical knowledge and experience to resolve problems. Training on ABB products and services will be provided; however, a basic understanding of computer networks, DCS systems (architecture, project engineering and HMI/graphic creation) is required in order for the training to be beneficial.
- Accurately document the work that is performed at a customer facility and/or project staging area. Professionally document work completed on periodic preventive maintenance as well as intermittent corrective maintenance tasks.
- When required, play an active role in various projects such as upgrades, new installations, or new functionality for customers. Coordinate work with other groups to ensure meeting commitments.
- Associates Degree or bachelor’s degree OR 3 to 5 years experience in similar field.
- Training will be provided and consists of formal classroom training via ABB University, informal training by Regional Technical Advisor mentors, and on the job training with Senior Field Service Engineers.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 1 to 5 years of professional work experience.
- Knowledge of ABB’s Harmony/Symphony/800xA and ability to trouble shoot and install DCS systems is a plus.
- Experience with ABB 800xA, AC800M (Control Builder), Infi90, Symphony Harmony, Symphony Plus; with proficiency within one of the aforementioned products.
- Fluent understanding of Industrial Process Control Principles and Human-Machine interface.
- Good communication skills – written and verbal (English); technical and general report writing essential.
- Troubleshooting skills and root cause analysis methodology essential.
- General Product knowledge of PLCs, DCS, SCADA, Process Instrumentation, Microsoft Networking, Network & Field Communications protocols.
- Basic Industry knowledge of Power Generation & Transmission, Pulp & Paper, Metals & Mining, Oil & Gas, and Utilities & Water.
- Background in Quality Customer Experience including customer complaints, net promotor survey programs, employee and customer survey programs, utilizing such quality programs as Lean, Six Sigma, 4Q, RCA, and DMAIC methods.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.